Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Does anyone know how install linux on Inspiron5150?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    4

    Does anyone know how install linux on Inspiron5150?

    I am new on linux. Trying to run knoppix 3.2 and 3.3 on my inspiron 5150 I find the same problem.

    Also tried with linuxin and failed.

    With debian the install program can't find the files rescue.bin and drivers.tgz on the cd1


    Worth asking to Dell support?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    12

    Re: Does anyone know how install linux on Inspiron5150?

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowtrolley
    I am new on linux. Trying to run knoppix 3.2 and 3.3 on my inspiron 5150 I find the same problem.

    Also tried with linuxin and failed.

    With debian the install program can't find the files rescue.bin and drivers.tgz on the cd1


    Worth asking to Dell support?
    man, at the prompt, try typing this command:
    knoppix no apic

    and see what happends

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Does anyone know how install linux on Inspiron5150?

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowtrolley
    I am new on linux. Trying to run knoppix 3.2 and 3.3 on my inspiron 5150 I find the same problem.

    Also tried with linuxin and failed.
    I don't follow. You can boot Knoppix but the install fails?

    With debian the install program can't find the files rescue.bin and drivers.tgz on the cd1
    When you say 'with Debian' do you ,mean you are trying to install Debian from cd or are you still trying to install Knoppix?


    Worth asking to Dell support?
    Hmm- I highly doubt that the idiots (er um technicians) at Dell know or even care at all about Linux but it won't cost anything to find out.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    /proc/uber-GOD
    Posts
    5

    Re: Does anyone know how install linux on Inspiron5150?

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Hmm- I highly doubt that the idiots (er um technicians) at Dell know or even care at all about Linux but it won't cost anything to find out.
    Linux User: "Yeah, I'm having a problem with Linux."
    Dell: "With what?"
    Linux User: "Linux... you know.. the big competitor to microsoft?"
    Dell: "Oh, sorry. We don't support anything but windows." <click>

    Happend to my friend, not 2 days ago.

Similar Threads

  1. How to install xp when Linux is already installed
    By clarjon1 in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 08:45 PM
  2. how to hd install 4 versions of linux
    By ramaswamyps in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 01:42 AM
  3. How to install Linux
    By Mic Q in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 12:24 AM
  4. How to install: WINDOWS NT first, LINUX after
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:29 PM
  5. I am new in linux I need hdd install help
    By dreamer1201 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 08:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B  607-0103-C  607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++ picture

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++

$169.00



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X picture

Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X

$180.00



Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2 picture

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2

$109.99



Apple Mac Microphone Vintage 1990 Model 590-0618-A Original Box Japan AUX Gray picture

Apple Mac Microphone Vintage 1990 Model 590-0618-A Original Box Japan AUX Gray

$14.95



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99