Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Goodbye Knoppix - Hello Mandrake

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    17

    Goodbye Knoppix - Hello Mandrake

    My KNOPPIX disk cracked in my drive (I think that's where it cracked. A 1/2" crack starting from the middle outward. The CD felt warm, too - I wonder what's going on with that?

    Anyway, I figured that since I have to replace the disk and I heard that the Mandrake installation was really easy (I'm a real newbie) I might as well order Mandrake. Then I thought of ordering Debian, and I wonder in fact whether Mandrake is Debian-based - I hope so. Debian has so many disks, and I only have 5.5 Gigs from my 20 Gig hard drive for LINUX.

    I don't know whether this forum could support Mandrake questions, but thanks for your help getting started anyway.

    Steve

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22
    Mandrake is not Debian-based, its Redhat based.

    If you're a real newbie then stay away from doing a Debian installation, Debian by itself is pretty hard to install. Knoppix is a far easier way to install Debian.

    And i don't know about the rest on this forum, but i don't mind anwsering questions about other distro's as well, just don't flame me if i get the location of a config file wrong

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Goodbye Knoppix - Hello Mandrake

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago
    My KNOPPIX disk cracked in my drive (I think that's where it cracked. A 1/2" crack starting from the middle outward. The CD felt warm, too - I wonder what's going on with that?
    Perhaps it is the long arm of Bill's evil empire!

    I don't know whether this forum could support Mandrake questions, but thanks for your help getting started anyway.

    Steve
    Not really- there is a Mandrake experts forum that shouldbe able to answer your questions. MDK is nice for noobs but IMHO rpm's really bite! At least your using Linux tho right?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Goodbye Knoppix - Hello Mandrake

    1. Stop using cheap media.
    2. Get the drive checked out by a repair facility, and consider replacing it.

    --I'm guessing it's a 48x or 52x, right? I have bad feelings about those, they run the discs too close to the failure point. (Too much centrifugal force on spinning plastic media.) Look into getting a slower drive, or even a DVD drive. Personally I never run anything past 32x, even while burning. CD's in my dad's 52x burner always feel warm after being ejected, could be the friction from spinning too fast or a cooling problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago
    My KNOPPIX disk cracked in my drive (I think that's where it cracked. A 1/2" crack starting from the middle outward. The CD felt warm, too - I wonder what's going on with that?

    Anyway, I figured that since I have to replace the disk and I heard that the Mandrake installation was really easy (I'm a real newbie) I might as well order Mandrake. Then I thought of ordering Debian, and I wonder in fact whether Mandrake is Debian-based - I hope so. Debian has so many disks, and I only have 5.5 Gigs from my 20 Gig hard drive for LINUX.

    I don't know whether this forum could support Mandrake questions, but thanks for your help getting started anyway.

    Steve

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    17
    Thanks for your feedback. I did hear about an unusual long five-fingered formation emanating from Redford across the country on the Weather Channel. Hmmm... They said that people were advised to stay indoors, avoid any object that says "XP Professional" and watch their wallet.

    I /do/ have a 52x 48x 52x cd burner. I think if anyone knows of a Windows (oops!) utility to set the read speed of a cd-rom lower than max, that would be the best solution for me. I can do it in Nero, but I don't think I can do it in Windows.

    I didn't download the image - I ordered it on the Internet and had it delivered. Maybe the first thing I should do is burn copies of the disk(s). I just bought a bunch of Verbatim CD-R's - you know, the ones that look like little 45's.

    It is really annoying that I could never properly install KNOPPIX in a bootable partition, good that I didn't have to deal with any of my own data, but annoying that I'm stuck for a runnable LINUX installation and in a state of only partial success until I get the new one.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by Drago
    I think if anyone knows of a Windows (oops!) utility to set the read speed of a cd-rom lower than max, that would be the best solution for me.
    I just bought a DVD reader at Circuit City for $29 after rebates ($49 before). Why not get the extra functionality? AND, OfficeMAX has a DVD+-R/RW drive on sale for about $149, which will allow you to burn or read anything on the planet!!

    I'm a newbie and installed Mandrake. It is very easy. But I still use Knoppix. The quality of help and participation on this forum beats anything I've seen anywhere else!! It all generalizes pretty well. If you're a newbie, it will probably be quite some time before you know enough for the distro to make a significant difference.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Contact the company you bought the disc from and say they sent you a defective product. Ask for free (free shipping, too!) replacement. Send/fax them a picture of the CD if they ask too many questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago
    I didn't download the image - I ordered it on the Internet and had it delivered. Maybe the first thing I should do is burn copies of the disk(s). I just bought a bunch of Verbatim CD-R's - you know, the ones that look like little 45's.

    It is really annoying that I could never properly install KNOPPIX in a bootable partition, good that I didn't have to deal with any of my own data, but annoying that I'm stuck for a runnable LINUX installation and in a state of only partial success until I get the new one.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    17
    WOW! Some really good ideas! All right on the money. There's absolutely no reason I can't run KNOPPIX off the CD even after I install Mandrake. Very cool idea. The rest too.

    BTW, from my cracking experience, I think for those of you reading this who didn't download ISOs (that right?) and aren't installing it onto hd, it would be a good idea to start off by backing up that CD any way you can.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --You can turn the CD into an ISO image by booting it and doing the following:

    ' mkdir /mnt/blah '
    ' mount /dev/some-writable-partition-of-sufficient-size /mnt/blah -onoatime,rw '

    ' cd some-writable-area-that-has-700MB-free '
    ' time cat /dev/cdrom >knoppix-v999.iso '

    --Then md5sum the .iso file and compare it with the md5sum from the FTP site:
    ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/

    --You may be better off doing this from a poorman's install; I don't know what would happen if the OS had to read something off the CD while it was doing the copy, but comparing the md5sums should catch any errors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago
    WOW! Some really good ideas! All right on the money. There's absolutely no reason I can't run KNOPPIX off the CD even after I install Mandrake. Very cool idea. The rest too.

    BTW, from my cracking experience, I think for those of you reading this who didn't download ISOs (that right?) and aren't installing it onto hd, it would be a good idea to start off by backing up that CD any way you can.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    7
    a 52x cd drive wont cause the disc to split if the drive or the disc itself isn't damanged.

    If the cd spins flat, then there actually isn't much pressure on the disc, the only part that has that much pressure is when it spins up. but then, its not even that much

    most likely cause is:

    1. CD was damanged (ie, weakness in plastic)
    2. CD Drive spins the cd slightly wonky, putting allot more pressure on the disc
    3. The CD Loader mech is slightly damaged, and doesn't push the cd on to the spindle at the right plan, ie to slow, so it doesn't align with the hole correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Goodbye windows! (almost. I need help!)
    By jehan60188 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 03:56 AM
  2. Delele user knoppix: kiss root goodbye
    By knopppixxx in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 02:01 PM
  3. Can't Access CDROM's - goodbye Knoppix????
    By rowck001 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2004, 09:50 PM
  4. Knoppix over Mandrake
    By Muka in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 03:56 PM
  5. Mandrake to Knoppix PartitionProblems (I think)
    By fullerton in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-26-2003, 04:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$56.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2TB Internal SSD M.2 2280 M.2 SATA III Black Model/MPN SSD2TBM2 picture

2TB Internal SSD M.2 2280 M.2 SATA III Black Model/MPN SSD2TBM2

$125.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Netac 1TB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s MAC/PC picture

Netac 1TB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s MAC/PC

$109.99



KIOXIA KBG6AZNV512G 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD — TESTED & READY TO USE picture

KIOXIA KBG6AZNV512G 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD — TESTED & READY TO USE

$58.99