Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: can't boot into linux. not through floppy, not from hd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2

    can't boot into linux. not through floppy, not from hd

    I have installed knoppix to my first harddrive next to Windows XP but I can't boot to it. I chose not to write LILO to the MBR, because I prefer the NTLDR. For this reason I created, when the option was given during installation, a boot floppy to boot into GNU/Linux the first time and let the script write the boot-files to my linux root partition.

    When, in LILO (on the floppy), I choose Linux, I got the following message: ERROR 0x01. Since the floppy failed to boot into Linux, I tried the method which I found here on this forum using the KNOPPIX-CD and the pivot_root command:

    knoppix single
    sudo su
    mkdir /mnt/new_root
    mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/new_root
    mkdir /mnt/new_root/mnt/old_root
    cd /mnt/new_root
    pivot_root . /mnt/new_root/mnt/old_root

    init 5

    this works... From whithin Linux running on my harddisk I copied my first 512 bytes of the root to a file (dd if= and so on..), which I placed in C:\, using my FAT32 partition as "exchange"partition, and edited my boot.ini. When I chose GNU/Linux out of the list which appeared at startup I only saw the letter "L" (Probably the first letter of what should become LILO), and the system hung.

    I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is it my partition table or even my hardware?

    IDE0 Master
    hda1 NTFS Primary Active 30GB Windows XP
    hda2 NTFS Primary 120GB DATA
    Extended
    hda5 Ext3 (root) Logical Bootable 4GB Linux
    (I've added the bootable flag later to see if this was the problem)
    hda6 Ext2 Logical 1GB
    (I wan't this to become /home after I have solved this issue)

    IDE1 Master
    hdc1 NTFS Primary 1,5GB Windows SWAP
    Extended
    hdc5 FAT32 Logical 35GB Data
    hdc6 Linux Swap Logical 750MB

    /etc/lilo.conf is as follows:
    vga=791
    lba32
    boot=/dev/hda5
    root=/dev/hda5
    install=/boot/boot-menu.b
    map=/boot/map

    delay=20
    prompt
    timeout=150

    append="hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

    default=Linux

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
    label=Linux
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    read-only

    image=/vmlinuz.old
    label=LinuxOLD
    read-only
    optional

    other=/dev/hdc1
    label="WinNT(hdc1)"

    other=/dev/hdc5
    label="Windows(hdc5)"

    other=/dev/hda1
    label="WinNT(hda1)"

    other=/dev/hda2
    label="WinNT(hda2)"


    I really hope someone could help me, because I really would like to see this nice list at startup, just being able to pick and run!

    Greetings!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2

    Solution Found

    After googeling the error messages (0x01 and only the letter " L" appearing) I found out it is a hardware-issue. It could indicate a malfunctioning HD or a BIOS not supporting the HD. I've updated my bios and booting now works!

    Thanx for reading this!

Similar Threads

  1. Able to dual boot XP and linux but Linux goes to GRUB, help
    By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
  2. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  3. Install LINUX without CDROM and floppy disk (by HDD or net)
    By arubia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-10-2003, 09:50 PM
  4. boot freezes, floppy boot o.k.?
    By Prieni in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 02:52 PM
  5. Boot knoppix withough Floppy and CD boot
    By Dan_Netwalker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99