Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: ACER TM250: Can not boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Pamulang, 15417
    Posts
    15

    ACER TM250: Can not boot

    Hi,

    I tried Debian Woody as well as Knoppix 3.3 at a ACER TM250 (15", 2.4 GHz P4) with no luck
    Both boot will stop after this message:
    Loading root.bin...
    Loading linux.bin... ready.
    Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
    Then it freeze...

    BTW,
    The only linux that works is Mandrake 9.1 that is provided by ACER (no install, restore only)
    Knoppix 3.3 works fine on ACER TM660 (Centrino 1.4 GHz).

    regards,

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4

    Same on a TM240

    I just tried Knoppix on an Acer TravelMate 240 and got the same results: it freezes after booting the kernel. I tried fb1024, textmode and expet boot options, the results are the same.

    Any suggestions?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4

    strange

    This is strange, since TravelMate240 is listed as Linux-compatible on one of the other threads. It says there Acer actually released a TM240 model with Linux preinstalled (in asia, I think).

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4

    Gentoo seems to work...

    To recap: I tried Knoppix on a TravelMate 240 and it freezes just after it says 'booting the kernel'. If I use boot options (I think the kernel matters here) that keep the laptop in text-mode, the text remains on the screen, otherwise the screen goes blank. Any disk activity ceases. It does not respond to any keyboard input I tried. The network led keeps blinking, but as far as I can tell it always does on this laptop (even with no network activity). I have tried all kernel versions - frambuffer, expert, the one with no hw detection, all of the no* options, to no avail. Since the kernel doesn't boot, testcd doesn't work.

    There is a report (on http://www.geocities.com/ma_sivakuma...ux_laptop.html ) that Acer launched a Linux-preinstalled laptop for the Indian market. Also, I just tried booting the Gentoo Linux LiveInstall CD and it boots just fine. It seems to go through hardware-detection alright (though I didn't look very carefully at what it finds), the graphical console works and I could connect to the internet just right. This means there shouldn't be anything intrinsic to linux.

    I don't want to actually install Gentoo, though, since the laptop has some sort of hidden 'repair' partition or something (it came with windowsXP Home), and I don't want (nor have time) to mess with it yet. I'm also not very experienced with Linux (though I do compile a kernel now and then) and even less so with laptops; this one is not even mine, it's my father's.

    I tried Gnoppix, it didn't work either. However, I'm not sure if that CD isn't broken. I'll check it later.

    Anyways, it would be nice if anyone with actual experience with Linux could look at a travelmate (come one, one of you guys must have a friend who owns one), find out what the problem is and 'fix' knoppix. Please!!!

  5. #5

    Tried boot: knoppix noapic ?

    Just to state that my TM 234 LC needs this boot option 'noapic' to work.
    However my problems was not crashing, but 'only' lack og network, usb and sound until I tried 'noapic'.

    Good luck,
    Claus

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Pamulang, 15417
    Posts
    15

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Pamulang, 15417
    Posts
    15
    I tried every "no" option including failsave with no luck...
    Well, the conclusion is:

    ACER TM250 (CPU P4 2.6 GHz, RAM 512 MB)
    Knoppix 3.3: Failed
    Debian 3.0: Failed
    Mandrake 9.1: Failed

    Slackware 9.0: OK
    Redhat 9.0: OK
    Mandrake (restore CDROM for ACER 250): OK

    ACER TM661: (CPU Centrino 1.4 GHz, RAM 512 MB)
    Knoppix 3.3: OK
    Debian 3.0: OK

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1
    Having the same problems here(TM 242), i can add some other information:

    - there is a report (linked from tuxmobil.de) http://www.blue-screen.at/index.php?...ocs/linux/acer, from someone who managed to install debian (german only). Basically it follows the idea to install an older, working version and update to a newer one.
    An older Debian (kernel 2.2) works fine, showed a quick test. Inspired by this i tried an older version (Knoppix 2.2), but it freezes and screen remains black...

    Just to mention:
    - FreeBSD runs perfect :P

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Pamulang, 15417
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Muto
    Basically it follows the idea to install an older, working version and update to a newer one.
    May I know how to update Knoppix?
    Burn a new CDROM?

    Anyway, I keep some information about Slackware and Redhat configuration at
    http://rms46.vlsm.org/1/95.html.

    regards,

    RMS46.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2
    Acer TravelMate 240 (TM 240) works fine with Knoppix 3.4 and Kernel 2.6. Just type 'knoppix26' when it says 'boot:'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. KNOPPIX on a acer tm 290?
    By ying-yang7 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-30-2004, 10:19 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2004, 03:57 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 02:04 PM
  4. ACER TM C300
    By elektro_flash in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2004, 02:47 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



OWC Express 4M2 USB4 40Gb/s 4-Slot NVMe M.2 SSD RAID Enclosure w/ Cable picture

OWC Express 4M2 USB4 40Gb/s 4-Slot NVMe M.2 SSD RAID Enclosure w/ Cable

$125.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



74Y6511 IBM 3Gb 2 Port PCI-E x8 SAS RAID Adapter 74Y6512 44V4199 W/ 1x Battery picture

74Y6511 IBM 3Gb 2 Port PCI-E x8 SAS RAID Adapter 74Y6512 44V4199 W/ 1x Battery

$99.99