-
Failing to update packages post hdd install
After a hdd install from knoppix 3.2 I tried to dist-upgrade to Debian unstable. It all seems to work fine but my debian_version is still reported as testing/unstable. I've tracked this down to the fact that a number of packages from the hdd install are not at the latest versions available in unstable but are unoffical versions with different dependencies. The most significant being sysvinit.
If I try apt-get install sysvinit, I'm told I have the latest version installed. Not true. The knoppix version is 2.84 something or other, whereas 2.85 is available in unstable.
If I try apt-get --reinstall install sysvinit, I'm told the packages is not available for download.
This is a common problem when trying to replace a package from an unofficial source with an official one. My usual trick is just to remove the offending package, then reinstall from an official source.
HOWEVER, sysvinit is a rather crucial package and I'm a little concerned that removing it - even if only to replace it with a different version shortly afterwards - may be dangerous.
Any suggestions as to whether or not this may be a safe thing to do or what alternative approach I could take would be much appreciated...
Thanks!
Similar Threads
-
By ecserver in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-21-2005, 01:25 PM
-
By Qizz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 02:58 AM
-
By Drezliok in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-01-2004, 11:04 PM
-
By KnightPusher in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-23-2004, 08:27 PM
-
By tfitzgex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-08-2003, 05:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$714.99

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD
$14.99

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99