Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix not working on my Alienware laptop....

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix not working on my Alienware laptop....

    I just got the new version 3.2 of Knoppix and I run it from the cd on my laptop, I get to the boot screen and when I use the cheatcodes, all I see is a blank screen. I tried using the code "failsafe" and all that does is say booting kernel and it stays there. I'm not sure if it's my laptop or if my drivers are not compatiable...I have an alienware area-51m with a radeon 9000, 1gig ram.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2

    got a sis900 lan chip on board?

    found a similar problem with a notebook with an SIS900 LAN chip on board. Try booting Knoppix with the options "knoppix noapic" as there is a problem I believe with APIC support on SIS900 based boards.

    Hope this helps! Cheers

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: got a sis900 lan chip on board?

    --also try booting with a framebuffer:
    boot: ' fb1024x768 '

    Quote Originally Posted by hatsoap
    found a similar problem with a notebook with an SIS900 LAN chip on board. Try booting Knoppix with the options "knoppix noapic" as there is a problem I believe with APIC support on SIS900 based boards.

    Hope this helps! Cheers

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2

    Re: got a sis900 lan chip on board?

    Unfortunatly I tried all of the above and I still have no luck..maybe knoppix just isnt going to work for this laptop...


    Quote Originally Posted by hatsoap
    found a similar problem with a notebook with an SIS900 LAN chip on board. Try booting Knoppix with the options "knoppix noapic" as there is a problem I believe with APIC support on SIS900 based boards.

    Hope this helps! Cheers

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1
    what alienware laptop do you have? do you have the old or new area-51m? i've got the new one (i think they call it version 2) and i am using knoppix 3.2 right now to enter this post.

Similar Threads

  1. Mouse not working on Compaq Armada E500 laptop
    By deevs in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 03:18 PM
  2. Working Laptop!
    By comctrl6 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 07:00 AM
  3. Laptop w/ External LCD not working
    By pwoods in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 10:55 PM
  4. intel nic on fujitsu laptop not working
    By twyatt4321 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 08:39 PM
  5. One question away from a fully working laptop!!!!!
    By WANDr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51 CD SEALED picture

Vintage Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51 CD SEALED

$145.00



RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ* picture

RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ*

$299.99



Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ picture

Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ

$179.99



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



Vintage Macintosh Quadra 840AV Logic Board in Apple Service Box READ picture

Vintage Macintosh Quadra 840AV Logic Board in Apple Service Box READ

$899.00



Apple Keyboard Vintage M3501 picture

Apple Keyboard Vintage M3501

$50.00



Vintage Gateway 2000 Anykey 2194001-00-002 PS/2 Keyboard - TESTED picture

Vintage Gateway 2000 Anykey 2194001-00-002 PS/2 Keyboard - TESTED

$28.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD A6-3500@2.10GHz 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ picture

VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD [email protected] 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ

$160.00



Vintage Winnie the Pooh Hundred Acre Wood Tandy Color Computer Sierra Disney picture

Vintage Winnie the Pooh Hundred Acre Wood Tandy Color Computer Sierra Disney

$69.00