Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Failing to update packages post hdd install

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    34

    Failing to update packages post hdd install

    After a hdd install from knoppix 3.2 I tried to dist-upgrade to Debian unstable. It all seems to work fine but my debian_version is still reported as testing/unstable. I've tracked this down to the fact that a number of packages from the hdd install are not at the latest versions available in unstable but are unoffical versions with different dependencies. The most significant being sysvinit.

    If I try apt-get install sysvinit, I'm told I have the latest version installed. Not true. The knoppix version is 2.84 something or other, whereas 2.85 is available in unstable.

    If I try apt-get --reinstall install sysvinit, I'm told the packages is not available for download.

    This is a common problem when trying to replace a package from an unofficial source with an official one. My usual trick is just to remove the offending package, then reinstall from an official source.

    HOWEVER, sysvinit is a rather crucial package and I'm a little concerned that removing it - even if only to replace it with a different version shortly afterwards - may be dangerous.

    Any suggestions as to whether or not this may be a safe thing to do or what alternative approach I could take would be much appreciated...

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    Did you follow the instructions here:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...251&highlight=

    As for sysvinit, it is a custom init that comes with the Knoppix CD, so there is only one version available, which is why apt is telling you it is the latest version. The standard Debian version of the package is called "initscripts". However, I've never replaced the init scripts, and don't see any need to. If you update everything else to unstable, you will be able to use the latest version of any software (unless for some reason it depends on initscripts).

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    34
    No, I did not follow those instructions *precisely*, but essentially that's exactl what I did. I did my hdd install quite some time ago now and have been tinkering with the system ever since.
    Sysvinit is not a custom kernel that comes only with Knoppix - it's available as part of sid, and depends on initscripts.
    I want to replace sysvinit as it's preventing me from cleaning out a whole bunch of other stuff that came with Knoppix like rebuildfstab-knoppix and hotplug-knoppix....

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    You are correct, sysvinit does depend on initscripts, but sysvinit from the CD is a custom package. The standard initscripts and sysvinit are not installed. I think that is why you are having trouble upgrading it. Like I said before, I haven't tried tinkering with the initscripts, so I can't help.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    Todsr1:

    Well, out of curiosity, I tried to update sysvinit and found that you can do it, but it is tricky and DANGEROUS.

    First, download the sysvinit package, then:

    dpkg -x sysvinit<something>.deb /tmp

    Find file "update-rc.d" in /tmp, then copy it to /usr/sbin.

    apt-get install mount

    You will get a dire warning about removing mount-aes. I held my breath and entered "Yes, do as I say!"

    apt-get install initscripts

    dpkg -i sysvinit<something>.deb

    So far, everything is working as before, except my init routine is different. I also receive an error about mounting (it says / is mounted read-only, but it is mounted read-write after booting completely). I assume the error is due to removing mount-aes. I'll have to figure that out later. Please also don't hold me responsible if my post is wrong. I think I remembered the steps I took, but I could have missed something.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    OK, I tried it again on a different computer and I wrote the order of things wrong:

    download sysvinit<something>.deb package.

    dpkg -x sysvinit<something>.deb /tmp

    apt-get install mount

    "Yes, do as I say!"

    apt-get install installscripts

    That brings an error, override with:

    dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/initscripts<something>.deb

    cp /tmp/usr/share/sysvinit/update-rc.d /usr/sbin

    apt-get install sysv-rc

    dpkg -i sysvinit<something>.deb

    Everything works using the standard sysvinit with initscripts. I replaced bootmisc.sh with the standard version as well and everything works fine.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    34
    m_yates.... thanks so much for this!
    I'll give it a go when I'm next on my Debian box over the next few days. Fingers crossed.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    Good luck! I'm no Linux guru, so don't blame me if something is broken. It seems like most things are working for me, though. I still get an error about / being mounted read-only during boot-up and fsck won't run during boot-up because of that. I'll have to get to the bottom of that this weekend.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    34
    Great.
    It worked a treat.
    Actually, I found an easier way to do this...
    I tried 'apt-get install sysvinit/unstable' to force the switch. Essentially this should work, but dpkg falls over on sysv-rc - I think this is due to change in dependencies between the versions of sysvinit in woody and sid....
    I updated my /etc/apt/sources.list to point to stable and testing as well and tried 'apt-get install sysvinit/testing' getting the same problem and then 'apt-get install sysinit/stable' which solved the problem. This also fixed up all the dependencies so I go then go ahead and upgrade to the unstable version.
    Having done this, I was able to 'apt-get --purge remove knoppix*' to remove all the neat little programs like 'soundcardconfig-knoppix' that I no longer need.

Similar Threads

  1. the Knoppix special packages is too older,why not update it?
    By ecserver in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 01:25 PM
  2. MY TALE OF TRYING TO INSTALL KNOPPIX AND FAILING MISERABLY
    By Qizz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 02:58 AM
  3. can't Ping in Root Console to update packages
    By Drezliok in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 11:04 PM
  4. Update packages in next Knoppix release!
    By KnightPusher in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 08:27 PM
  5. XFS install failing ..
    By tfitzgex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 05:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51 CD SEALED picture

Vintage Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51 CD SEALED

$145.00



RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ* picture

RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ*

$299.99



Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ picture

Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ

$179.99



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



VINTAGE Silicon Graphics SGI IRIS Indigo R3000 CMNB003 New Battery No Hard Drive picture

VINTAGE Silicon Graphics SGI IRIS Indigo R3000 CMNB003 New Battery No Hard Drive

$999.99



Apple Keyboard Vintage M3501 picture

Apple Keyboard Vintage M3501

$50.00



Vintage Macintosh Quadra 840AV Logic Board in Apple Service Box READ picture

Vintage Macintosh Quadra 840AV Logic Board in Apple Service Box READ

$899.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



APPLE IIC A2S4100 VINTAGE PERSONAL COMPUTER UNTESTED AS-IS, NO POWER CABLE picture

APPLE IIC A2S4100 VINTAGE PERSONAL COMPUTER UNTESTED AS-IS, NO POWER CABLE

$149.99



VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD A6-3500@2.10GHz 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ picture

VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD [email protected] 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ

$160.00