Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: 9.1: Install grub 2.x for secure boot

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    21

    9.1: Install grub 2.x for secure boot

    Hello,

    I used the following steps to install grub 2.0 under knoppix 9.1

    Code:
    mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/sdb1
    mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1
    apt-get install grub-efi-amd64-signed
    grub-install --boot-directory=/media/sdb1/boot --efi-directory=/media/sdb1 --uefi-secure-boot
    But after boot I got the red sign which alerts that some files are not signed.
    Can you please advise what is missing in my steps ?

    I found the following link:
    http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Linux:_Secure_Boot

    I wonder if I need this complicated procedure with knoppix.

    Thank you,
    Zvika

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    21
    Hello,

    Thanks to the huge help I got in the grub mail list, grub is now booting under secure boot.

    I had 2 problems:

    1. The shim packages I had are for i386 not amd64. So I installed the right shim packages.

    2. I had to run grub-install under knoppix 9.1 which was booted in secure boot=enable in BIOS.
    Till I did it, I got the following warning:

    Quote:
    grub-install: warning: EFI variables are not supported on this system.

    Thank you,
    Zvika

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    21
    Hello,

    According to the following link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JhMSKvf6Kw
    The "EFI variables are not supported on this system" can be fixed by running:

    modprobe efivarfs
    mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars

    According to few links I found, the cause is that Knoppinx (in my case) is booting from USB stick.
    I think (not sure) this is a BUG.

    Thank you,
    Zvika


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00