Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Laptop corrupts CD

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    23

    Laptop corrupts CD

    I downloaded an ISO (3.3 2003-09-24) and checked the md5sum - it was correct. I burned the CD with k3b and tested it on a desktop with the testcd cheatcode and it said it was fine.

    Tried to install to my laptop hard drive (debootstrap, knoppix-installer, and knx-hdinstall) and it came up with errors. So I ran testcd cheatcode on my laptop and it tells me the cd is bad. I ran testcd on another desktop and it came out fine. The memory in the laptop is good, I tested that too. Could it be my CD-ROM drive?

    The laptop is a Gateway Solo 1450 that I'd really like to have a Linux partition on. I've installed Knoppix on it before it's only stopped working with 3.3

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Laptop corrupts CD

    --It could very well be your cdrom drive. A way to get around it, if you have 700MB free space on the c:\ drive:

    o ftp the x:\knoppix\knoppix CD file from another computer to the laptop -> c:\knoppix\knoppix

    o boot from floppy (x:\knoppix\mkfloppy.bat - poor man's install) and install to HD from there.

    --After everything is up and working, you can delete the c:\knoppix dir.

    --Are you using CDRW? If so, switch to CDR and try that on the laptop instead. Older drives have problems with cdrw.

    Quote Originally Posted by gretchen
    I downloaded an ISO (3.3 2003-09-24) and checked the md5sum - it was correct. I burned the CD with k3b and tested it on a desktop with the testcd cheatcode and it said it was fine.

    Tried to install to my laptop hard drive (debootstrap, knoppix-installer, and knx-hdinstall) and it came up with errors. So I ran testcd cheatcode on my laptop and it tells me the cd is bad. I ran testcd on another desktop and it came out fine. The memory in the laptop is good, I tested that too. Could it be my CD-ROM drive?

    The laptop is a Gateway Solo 1450 that I'd really like to have a Linux partition on. I've installed Knoppix on it before it's only stopped working with 3.3

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    23
    It was a CDRW but my old 3.2 CDR still fails the test. I do have some free space so I'll probably do it that way.

    Too bad I've already given away the last knoppix CD I installed with on my laptop - then I could find out if perhaps the lens is dirty.

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by gretchen
    I do have some free space so I'll probably do it that way.
    Beware, for the "poor man install" only works if your C: drive is fat (not NTFS)

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    23
    I have a partition on my laptop that I plan to format as FAT and use it just for file storage. That way I can easily share files between Windows and Linux. That's what I used for the poor man's install.

Similar Threads

  1. Laptop is getting very, very hot
    By matbehns in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 02:34 PM
  2. Thanks!! (about laptop)
    By objectconstant in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 01:13 AM
  3. New Laptop, need some help
    By WolfCub in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 09:51 PM
  4. laptop
    By oneeyedelf1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 04:34 PM
  5. New Laptop
    By drlizau in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



New Juniper Networks EX3400-48P 48-Port PoE+ 4-Port SFP+ Ethernet Switch Sealed picture

New Juniper Networks EX3400-48P 48-Port PoE+ 4-Port SFP+ Ethernet Switch Sealed

$466.65



New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty picture

New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty

$895.00



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW) picture

Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW)

$999.99



Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter picture

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter

$59.99



Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB picture

Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB

$285.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99