-
Junior Member
registered user
Laptop corrupts CD
I downloaded an ISO (3.3 2003-09-24) and checked the md5sum - it was correct. I burned the CD with k3b and tested it on a desktop with the testcd cheatcode and it said it was fine.
Tried to install to my laptop hard drive (debootstrap, knoppix-installer, and knx-hdinstall) and it came up with errors. So I ran testcd cheatcode on my laptop and it tells me the cd is bad. I ran testcd on another desktop and it came out fine. The memory in the laptop is good, I tested that too. Could it be my CD-ROM drive?
The laptop is a Gateway Solo 1450 that I'd really like to have a Linux partition on. I've installed Knoppix on it before it's only stopped working with 3.3
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Laptop corrupts CD
--It could very well be your cdrom drive. A way to get around it, if you have 700MB free space on the c:\ drive:
o ftp the x:\knoppix\knoppix CD file from another computer to the laptop -> c:\knoppix\knoppix
o boot from floppy (x:\knoppix\mkfloppy.bat - poor man's install) and install to HD from there.
--After everything is up and working, you can delete the c:\knoppix dir.
--Are you using CDRW? If so, switch to CDR and try that on the laptop instead. Older drives have problems with cdrw.

Originally Posted by
gretchen
I downloaded an ISO (3.3 2003-09-24) and checked the md5sum - it was correct. I burned the CD with k3b and tested it on a desktop with the testcd cheatcode and it said it was fine.
Tried to install to my laptop hard drive (debootstrap, knoppix-installer, and knx-hdinstall) and it came up with errors. So I ran testcd cheatcode on my laptop and it tells me the cd is bad. I ran testcd on another desktop and it came out fine. The memory in the laptop is good, I tested that too. Could it be my CD-ROM drive?
The laptop is a Gateway Solo 1450 that I'd really like to have a Linux partition on. I've installed Knoppix on it before it's only stopped working with 3.3
-
Junior Member
registered user
It was a CDRW but my old 3.2 CDR still fails the test. I do have some free space so I'll probably do it that way.
Too bad I've already given away the last knoppix CD I installed with on my laptop - then I could find out if perhaps the lens is dirty.
Thanks!
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
gretchen
I do have some free space so I'll probably do it that way.
Beware, for the "poor man install" only works if your C: drive is fat (not NTFS)
-
Junior Member
registered user
I have a partition on my laptop that I plan to format as FAT and use it just for file storage. That way I can easily share files between Windows and Linux. That's what I used for the poor man's install.
Similar Threads
-
By matbehns in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 02-18-2005, 02:34 PM
-
By objectconstant in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-11-2005, 01:13 AM
-
By WolfCub in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-14-2005, 09:51 PM
-
By oneeyedelf1 in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-02-2004, 04:34 PM
-
By drlizau in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Razer Boomslang 1000 First Edition Gaming Mouse Tin Box CD Manual Vintage
$449.99

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used
$39.99

Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000 Computer w/Service Manual & DOS Disks Cov
$275.00

Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used
$47.99

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage Dell AT101W Keyboard Wired Mechanical GYUM90SK PS/2
$59.88

VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC
$24.95

Vintage 1990/91 APPLE MACINTOSH Display Card 670 M0121 820-0600-A UNTESTED
$79.90

Vintage Toshiba XM-6201B SCSI 50 Pin CD-ROM Optical Drive Used
$39.99

Vintage Mitsubishi CDVR412 CD-RW Optical Drive SCSI 50 Pin Used
$47.99