Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Laptop corrupts CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    23

    Laptop corrupts CD

    I downloaded an ISO (3.3 2003-09-24) and checked the md5sum - it was correct. I burned the CD with k3b and tested it on a desktop with the testcd cheatcode and it said it was fine.

    Tried to install to my laptop hard drive (debootstrap, knoppix-installer, and knx-hdinstall) and it came up with errors. So I ran testcd cheatcode on my laptop and it tells me the cd is bad. I ran testcd on another desktop and it came out fine. The memory in the laptop is good, I tested that too. Could it be my CD-ROM drive?

    The laptop is a Gateway Solo 1450 that I'd really like to have a Linux partition on. I've installed Knoppix on it before it's only stopped working with 3.3

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Laptop corrupts CD

    --It could very well be your cdrom drive. A way to get around it, if you have 700MB free space on the c:\ drive:

    o ftp the x:\knoppix\knoppix CD file from another computer to the laptop -> c:\knoppix\knoppix

    o boot from floppy (x:\knoppix\mkfloppy.bat - poor man's install) and install to HD from there.

    --After everything is up and working, you can delete the c:\knoppix dir.

    --Are you using CDRW? If so, switch to CDR and try that on the laptop instead. Older drives have problems with cdrw.

    Quote Originally Posted by gretchen
    I downloaded an ISO (3.3 2003-09-24) and checked the md5sum - it was correct. I burned the CD with k3b and tested it on a desktop with the testcd cheatcode and it said it was fine.

    Tried to install to my laptop hard drive (debootstrap, knoppix-installer, and knx-hdinstall) and it came up with errors. So I ran testcd cheatcode on my laptop and it tells me the cd is bad. I ran testcd on another desktop and it came out fine. The memory in the laptop is good, I tested that too. Could it be my CD-ROM drive?

    The laptop is a Gateway Solo 1450 that I'd really like to have a Linux partition on. I've installed Knoppix on it before it's only stopped working with 3.3

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    23
    It was a CDRW but my old 3.2 CDR still fails the test. I do have some free space so I'll probably do it that way.

    Too bad I've already given away the last knoppix CD I installed with on my laptop - then I could find out if perhaps the lens is dirty.

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by gretchen
    I do have some free space so I'll probably do it that way.
    Beware, for the "poor man install" only works if your C: drive is fat (not NTFS)

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    23
    I have a partition on my laptop that I plan to format as FAT and use it just for file storage. That way I can easily share files between Windows and Linux. That's what I used for the poor man's install.

Similar Threads

  1. Laptop is getting very, very hot
    By matbehns in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 02:34 PM
  2. Thanks!! (about laptop)
    By objectconstant in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 01:13 AM
  3. New Laptop, need some help
    By WolfCub in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 09:51 PM
  4. laptop
    By oneeyedelf1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 04:34 PM
  5. New Laptop
    By drlizau in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



OEM Avago Technologies RAID 530-8i 03-50008-34001 FRU02JG102 PCI-E SAS Raid Card picture

OEM Avago Technologies RAID 530-8i 03-50008-34001 FRU02JG102 PCI-E SAS Raid Card

$110.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US picture

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US

$49.50



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00