Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Acer Travelmate can't boot kernel. Gentoo works though

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4

    Acer Travelmate can't boot kernel. Gentoo works though

    I noticed this problem on a TM240, but someone reported it for a TM250 too above.

    The boot loader works, then:
    Loading root.bin...
    Loading linux.bin... ready.
    Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
    and then it freezes.

    To recap: I tried Knoppix on a TravelMate 240 and it freezes just after it says 'booting the kernel'. If I use boot options (I think the kernel matters here) that keep the laptop in text-mode, the text remains on the screen, otherwise the screen goes blank. Any disk activity ceases. It does not respond to any keyboard input I tried. The network led keeps blinking, but as far as I can tell it always does on this laptop (even with no network activity). I have tried all kernel versions - frambuffer, expert, the one with no hw detection, all of the no* options, to no avail. Since the kernel doesn't boot, testcd doesn't work.

    There is a report (on http://www.geocities.com/ma_sivakuma...ux_laptop.html ) that Acer launched a Linux-preinstalled laptop for the Indian market. Also, I just tried booting the Gentoo Linux LiveInstall CD and it boots just fine. It seems to go through hardware-detection alright (though I didn't look very carefully at what it finds), the graphical console works and I could connect to the internet just right. This means there shouldn't be anything intrinsic to linux.

    I don't want to actually install Gentoo, though, since the laptop has some sort of hidden 'repair' partition or something (it came with windowsXP Home), and I don't want (nor have time) to mess with it yet. I'm also not very experienced with Linux (though I do compile a kernel now and then) and even less so with laptops; this one is not even mine, it's my father's.

    I tried Gnoppix, it didn't work either. However, I'm not sure if that CD isn't broken. I'll check it later.

    Anyways, it would be nice if anyone with actual experience with Linux could look at a travelmate (come one, one of you guys must have a friend who owns one), find out what the problem is and 'fix' knoppix. Or tell me what to do about it (I am willing to compile a kernel and remaster a Knoppix image if necessary, if only I knew what the problem was). Please help!
    [/quote]

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2
    I have also not been able to boot Knopix on my ACER Travlemate 240 BUT I was able to use the MEPIS 2003.10.01 live CD on this laptop (2.44.22 kernel). MEPIS found and initialized the built-in Ethernet but doesn't see the wireless adapter, it uses the mousepad but did't accept a USB mouse I tried. I used the default boot (did not need to specify 'noapic'); Have not tried to install MEPIS since I use the preinstalled copy of XP and ACER has several preinstalled partitions on the box which I'm afaid will kill XP if I delete them.
    Hope someone can figuer out how to make Knopix run as I like it better than MEPIS but at least I have a workable LINUX boot now (and with XP I know I'll need a recovery path)!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1
    turn off APIC + SMP then it should work (boot).

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361

    Re: Acer Travelmate can't boot kernel. Gentoo works though

    Quote Originally Posted by bogdanb
    The boot loader works, then:
    Loading root.bin...
    Loading linux.bin... ready.
    Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
    and then it freezes.

    To recap: I tried Knoppix on a TravelMate 240 and it freezes just after it says 'booting the kernel'. If I use boot options (I think the kernel matters here) that keep the laptop in text-mode, the text remains on the screen, otherwise the screen goes blank. Any disk activity ceases. It does not respond to any keyboard input I tried. The network led keeps blinking, but as far as I can tell it always does on this laptop (even with no network activity). I have tried all kernel versions - frambuffer, expert, the one with no hw detection, all of the no* options, to no avail. Since the kernel doesn't boot, testcd doesn't work.
    If you have tried the "nosmp" cheat code and it still doesn't work you need a remaster with a kernel without smp support. Links to an (oldish) one are here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6154
    But if you know how to do a remaster yourself it should be fairly straightforward, just recompile the kernel without smp.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix-installer in 3.7 works from kernel 2.4.27(not 2.6.9)
    By JohnnyH in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 10:33 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 02:32 PM
  3. ACER TM250: Can not boot
    By rms46 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 08:06 PM
  4. winxp, gentoo, knoppix, grub, and a boot error message
    By SgtRauksauff in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 12:38 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 02:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE picture

Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE

$149.00



Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone picture

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone

$225.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW picture

Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW

$450.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99