-
How to set bash / nano cursor
Sorry - possibly the most naive question it is possible to ask.
I've searched this forum and got a flood of hits from Google (and have tried the simplest solution described below) but still not got quite what I would prefer.
In the rawest possible Knoppix console (i.e. init 1) what I assume to be the default cursor (since I haven't changed or asked for anything else) is a blinking underline.
This persists into nano, my preferred text editor.
In both cases I prefer a non-blinking full-height block with the added property that when superimposed over a character as when editing a command line in bash or editing text in an editor, that character "shows through". i.e. the solid cursor is also transparent.
I tried the command
echo 0 > /sys/module/vt/parameters/cur_default
at the command-line which seemed to have some effect (blinking block which is halfway there) and other instructions echo 1, echo 2, .. had different effects e.g. half-height block but (a) none of them were what I was actually wanting and (b) the effect did not seem to be immediate but occurred at some short interval later. (Yes? My perceptions are surely faulty.)
Is this even the beginnings of the right approach?
If so can you tell me the correct echo n?
Do I need to issue the command not at the command line but in /etc/profile? .. or in ~/.bashrc or .. ?
I guess the nano requirement should be managed separately. (But it might carry over.)
Thank you!
PS In the bash console emulator "mintty" in Cygwin, the solid transparent unblinking full-height cursor is the default and persists into nano. Wish I knew how to mimic it in Knoppix.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM
$19.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A
$89.95

TeamGroup T-Force DELTA RGB 64GB 2x32GB DDR5 RAM 6000(2Rx8) CL38-38-38-78 1.35V
$600.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$85.00