-
How to set bash / nano cursor
Sorry - possibly the most naive question it is possible to ask.
I've searched this forum and got a flood of hits from Google (and have tried the simplest solution described below) but still not got quite what I would prefer.
In the rawest possible Knoppix console (i.e. init 1) what I assume to be the default cursor (since I haven't changed or asked for anything else) is a blinking underline.
This persists into nano, my preferred text editor.
In both cases I prefer a non-blinking full-height block with the added property that when superimposed over a character as when editing a command line in bash or editing text in an editor, that character "shows through". i.e. the solid cursor is also transparent.
I tried the command
echo 0 > /sys/module/vt/parameters/cur_default
at the command-line which seemed to have some effect (blinking block which is halfway there) and other instructions echo 1, echo 2, .. had different effects e.g. half-height block but (a) none of them were what I was actually wanting and (b) the effect did not seem to be immediate but occurred at some short interval later. (Yes? My perceptions are surely faulty.)
Is this even the beginnings of the right approach?
If so can you tell me the correct echo n?
Do I need to issue the command not at the command line but in /etc/profile? .. or in ~/.bashrc or .. ?
I guess the nano requirement should be managed separately. (But it might carry over.)
Thank you!
PS In the bash console emulator "mintty" in Cygwin, the solid transparent unblinking full-height cursor is the default and persists into nano. Wish I knew how to mimic it in Knoppix.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard
$95.99

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99

ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$75.00