Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Hard Drive Safety - Help a n00b in need!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5

    Hard Drive Safety - Help a n00b in need!

    I am a veteran of Linux, but new to knoppix. I was wondering if there is any concievable way that running knoppix off cd-rom could accidently overwrite hard drive data. In other words, does knoppix mount any hard drive automatically?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    Hi Trogdor

    I was under the impression - at least from the IBM article I read this afternoon - that Knoppix will automatically mount all your hard drive partitions but in read-only mode. If you want to start doing things to them, you have to manually change the access from read-only to read-write.

    I have been happily booting Knoppix disks on various wierd and wonderful permutations of hard disk partitions for a while now with no problems at all.

    Is your question the result of some actual problem you have encountered, or are you just being cautious before the fact?

    Kevin

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5
    Just being cautious . . . wouldn't want to f*ck up my parents' XP computer . . . for the third time.

    For background, when I knew nothing about linux except that I liked it, I f*cked it up once. Later, Partition Magic 7 crashed while resizing an NTFS partition . . . f*ck up # 2.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    Ouch!

    Resizing partitions is always a bit risky regardless of software stability. You know - dog chews through power cable at just the wrong moment etc.

    As far as booting Knoppix off CD just to have a play around goes, I would say "go for it".

    If you want to start resizing partitions and installing on hard drive... well, as noted above, there are no guarantees. All I can properly suggest is the age-old mantra of "make sure you do a backup before anything that might involve data loss".

    However, I will say this. After 15 years in the IT industry, I do not trust software that is closed source, and I do trust software that is open source. Even if I don't personally inspect the source code, I take comfort from the fact that - given the source is there for anyone to see - the authors tend to be more honest about what the software can and can't do, and how stable it really is.

    Oh, and another thing, apparently defragging is pretty important before attempting to resize.

    Hope this helps
    Kevin

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5
    Yeah, I defragged. PM said that Winblows made a bad partition, etc.

    Anyhow, I ran Knoppix, and XP still works, so it's good. However, I notice something strange: On my hard drive, I see the partition /boot. Was that a remnant of Knoppix, or something from an old Linux installation on this computer?

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by tearinghairout
    Hi Trogdor

    I was under the impression - at least from the IBM article I read this afternoon - that Knoppix will automatically mount all your hard drive partitions but in read-only mode.
    Knoppix will automatically detect all your drives/partitions and put an icon for them on your desktop, but it doesn't automatically mount them. You have to do that on your own. You are correct though that when they are mounted, they are mounted in read only mode. You have to change that if you want to write to them. Don't try this with NTFS.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    However, I notice something strange: On my hard drive, I see the partition /boot. Was that a remnant of Knoppix, or something from an old Linux installation on this computer?
    I'd say it's most likely someting from an old Linux installation. Some distros do set up a separate boot partition (I know SuSE does). I very much doubt that Knoppix would do anything like this.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5
    Just a thought . . . it couldn't have created the partition. Am I crazy, or does it take more than 10 seconds to move a 65 gb NTFS partition? :P

Similar Threads

  1. SATA DVD drive boots 3.6 but not 3.8.2 (n00b)
    By 12p542 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 01:50 AM
  2. n00b: dvd drive "gone" buut worked 2 days ago
    By xSauronx in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 03:59 PM
  3. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
  4. LSR safety check engaged!
    By montagne57 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 11:06 PM
  5. LSR safety check engaged!
    By neil in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 11:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$90.99



ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard

$101.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99