Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Knoppix and Wireless

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Knoppix and Wireless

    Ok some people will like me posting this and some won't, because it's essentially it's a post about using closed sorce drivers. Moreover they are Windows drivers with wrappers. I can't resist however because it simply looks so interesting.

    Anyone who has wanted to use 802.11g (Broadcom Chip) or Intel Centrino wireless with linux has basically been up the creek until now. But it looks like there is now an option to at least get these working.

    If you fall into this category, check out the following page:

    http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/

    Linuxant has produced debs for their driver loader so the install shouldn't be hard. I don't yet have any requsite hardware to test these things on, but I would be interested in hearing the experiences of those who try to get their centrino wireless working.

    Ok, now flame me for suggesting you use closed source.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    13
    woah! this is pretty interesting
    I downloaded this, installed it, had to sign up my email with them to "liscence"
    and my broadcom which is one of the bcm94301's which isn't mentioned as supported is now at least being noticed by IWCONFIG!!!

    this is awsome!
    i think now it's just a matter of learning how linux interfaces with wifi, i.e. establishing connections, and getting IP from dhcp, (as test)
    but it looks like this thingy might be a good tide-over..
    hopefully their willing to at least keep it as "free" as possible....
    they seem to charge $15 for other stuff.... I say the manufacturers.. if they ain't willin to make the drivers ought to accept this as a common ground..

    i think this is WORKING, and that's a lot better than NUTHIN!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1
    Well, Ive got the 802.11g setup and had probs with Suse's networking...especially having a cable connection behind a Belkin router. Popped this baby in and *BAM* instant access to the net. No hastles.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    6
    Got it working in a Knoppix 3.3 installed to hard drive. Just install de deb, follow the steps to compile de modules, and then use your browser to upload the windows drivers.

    I'm writing this from my Acer Travelmate 800 with Intel Centrino wireless card. Range is great (much better than a PCMCIA Ovislink I tried), and the driver so far works well under linux. I can scan with "iwlist eth1 scan", and set the essid, encryption key, ap, and some more commands with iwconfig.

    My main complaint is that when I lose contact with the accesspoint I get:

    Code:
    Nov  8 10:55:31 murdock kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out
    Nov  8 10:55:31 murdock kernel: eth1: Tx timeout! <6>eth1: New link status: Disconnected (0002)
    And even if I get connected again, I have to bring down the interface with "ifconfig eth1 down" and bring it up again to make it work. But I don't know if this is a common problem with all wireless devices or just this driver.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8
    did you use the drivers from the link on linuxant's web site?
    i have a acer travelmate 800LCi but it says it can't find the supported hardware.
    i am uploading w70n51.inf

    btw when i reboot the web server isn't active anymore, how comes?

    Can you get monitor mode active (to use pgms such as kismet)?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4

    Re: Knoppix and Wireless

    I am completely new to Knoppix but have a Dell 8500 laptop. I get Knoppix running ok on it but no wireless connection. Sounds like this is a solution but I have no idea how to get it onto the Knoppix CD. Could someone explain it to me as if I were a four year old? Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Ok some people will like me posting this and some won't, because it's essentially it's a post about using closed sorce drivers. Moreover they are Windows drivers with wrappers. I can't resist however because it simply looks so interesting.

    Anyone who has wanted to use 802.11g (Broadcom Chip) or Intel Centrino wireless with linux has basically been up the creek until now. But it looks like there is now an option to at least get these working.

    If you fall into this category, check out the following page:

    http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/

    Linuxant has produced debs for their driver loader so the install shouldn't be hard. I don't yet have any requsite hardware to test these things on, but I would be interested in hearing the experiences of those who try to get their centrino wireless working.

    Ok, now flame me for suggesting you use closed source.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3
    I have a compaq 2500 laptop with an integrated broadcom chip. I have knoppix 3.3 installed to my hard drive. I can get the wireless to work and it works great, but when i reboot it stops functioning. How can I get this to work everytime without reinstalling the drivers? Is it possible for it to work on startup automatically? If not, how do I control it?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by banquo0807
    I have a compaq 2500 laptop with an integrated broadcom chip. I have knoppix 3.3 installed to my hard drive. I can get the wireless to work and it works great, but when i reboot it stops functioning. How can I get this to work everytime without reinstalling the drivers? Is it possible for it to work on startup automatically? If not, how do I control it?
    If you have to modprobe a module to get it working then you should just add the module name to the file /etc/modules and it will be loaded on boot. If this is not what you do could you post some more details as to the steps involved.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3
    I install driverloader from the deb file I downloaded. Then I just follow the instructions to install the drivers. I do nothing special or extra other than follow the instructions.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by banquo0807
    I install driverloader from the deb file I downloaded. Then I just follow the instructions to install the drivers. I do nothing special or extra other than follow the instructions.
    You should look in the documentents directory for the .deb package you installed it is usually located in /usr/share/doc/package_name there may be additional instructions on how to setup the driver to load automatically. If you can not find anything in the docs how about some clue as to what the instructions told you to do where you found the driver that kind of thing we will need a little more information to help.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wireless Knoppix?
    By JakReloaded in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 11:17 PM
  2. Knoppix Wireless
    By zfirestone in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 10:31 PM
  3. No Wireless Extensions/No wireless card found?
    By sparticus in forum Laptops
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
  4. Knoppix and wireless
    By tursiops in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 03:59 PM
  5. No wireless extensions with Zonet USB wireless w/knoppix 3.4
    By dave52355 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS β€” Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS β€” Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Brand New Genuine Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Advanced Server) Version 3 picture

Brand New Genuine Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Advanced Server) Version 3

$39.99



Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH. picture

Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.

$197.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99