You may be interested in checking out ndiswrapper.sourceforge.org -- it's an open-source solution for Broadcom, Centrino, and other WLAN devices. My Broadcom WLAN device works great. And what's more -- it's free!
Ray
Yes, I would agree, check out the Linuxant/Broadcom solution and make sure there's no "voucher" in the box that can be used for a license there...
and...on behalf of the Linux community I would like to apologize for the fact that, unlike some other OS users (who get a functional driver for free right on the CD in the box), typically, Linux wireless users *still* need to know what chipset is powering their cards and where to find/download/and-possibly-pay-for a driver for them.
Patience. In time I'm sure this will have to change. After all, we Linux users are paying the same money for the hardware as everyone else, surely the driver (or lack of) disparity will be corrected eventually.
You may be interested in checking out ndiswrapper.sourceforge.org -- it's an open-source solution for Broadcom, Centrino, and other WLAN devices. My Broadcom WLAN device works great. And what's more -- it's free!
Ray
Oops, that's http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
Ray
Hi, I just got a Dell Inspirion 5150 Laptop. I've checked out www.linux-on-laptop.net but I'm trying a Mandrake 9.1. I managed to get it installed, but I have no wireless at all. I'm pretty new to linux. I'll give you my spec.
Dell Truemobile 1400 802.11b, g.
Broadcomm 1440 (this one is ok)
Pentium 4 3.6
60 gig HD
cdrw/dvd
Everything else works just fine so far, well, except for a little acpi I havent gotten fixed yet. I d/l the driverloader, but had a problem when I tried to install it. unpacked ok, but gave an error when I tried to run it.
and for the life of me, I cant remember the error at the moment.
Hey guys, this is exactly wot I have been looking for! i have both knoppix and knoppix-std nw, im a newbi to it all though, i got them for war drivin bt if i can get wireless and msn wrkin on knoppix 3.3 then il probs turn a ful tym linux user.
a few Qs, wot file shud i dwn load for my card, its a belkin 54g, i got the file for the debain kernal, but wen i try and install it in knoppix it asks for a root password how do i get past that?
is there a windows prog emulator that is more reliable than wine?
and wot is best for msn? ive heard bout amsn, bt it has probs apparently!!
ty for ANY help!!
Wel i have gotten past the password prob, now however, the file wont install, can anyone help with that? what file shud i download?!?
i have known about driverloader but it isnt free, they charge for it dont they?
i tried this with my network card and mandrake 9.2 and i could not get it to work, it saw the card but i could not get it to communicate with my router.Originally Posted by rayhiker
I installed the driverloader deb and did dldrconfig then went to the configurator, but I can't connect wirelessly. I always get:
Does anyone hav any suggestions? I am using a realtek 8180 chipset card.PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0f.0
eth1: WEP128, WEP64 supported
eth1: IEEE 802.11b Wireless Cardbus/PCI Adapter at 00:0f.0 (MAC address 04:00:00:00:00:00) ready
eth1: New link status: Disconnected (0002)
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0f.0
eth1: WEP128, WEP64 supported
eth1: IEEE 802.11b Wireless Cardbus/PCI Adapter at 00:0f.0 (MAC address 04:00:00:00:00:00) ready
eth1: New link status: Disconnected (0002)
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0f.0
eth1: WEP128, WEP64 supported
eth1: IEEE 802.11b Wireless Cardbus/PCI Adapter at 00:0f.0 (MAC address 04:00:00:00:00:00) ready
eth1: New link status: Disconnected (0002)
If you've got a Realtek 8180, don't bother using driverloader - there's a perfectly good driver out on the Realtek site already. Look in the www.linuxquestions.org wireless forums, in the "WPC11 version 4!" thread for lots of help.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
Dell Latitude 5420 14" - Core i5-1145G7 - 8GB - 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro - WARRANTY
$276.35
Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT
$129.95
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core AM5 Desktop CPU Processor 4.2GHz
$287.97
Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99
ASUS ROG Rampage V Extreme X99 LGA2011-3 + Intel i7-5960X 8-Core Combo Tested
$229.99
Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00