-
What CPU Please?
Hello, I thought I was in luck
when I was given a nearly new
motherboard! It is a Epox 4G4AE
with the 845G chipset. It also has
built in Intel Extreme Graphics.
The CPU support is Pentium 4
478 socket. My problem is that
when I costed a Pentium 4 CPU it
proved expensive. My first question
is; is it worth using a Celeron?
If I do how much do I lose out on,
and what Celeron?
If I have to bite the bullet, what
would be the best Pent. 4 chip to buy?
Also wil the Intel Extreme Graphics
run under Linux?
If anyone can help I would be grateful.
I am loking forward to running Open office
at a useable speed.
Thanks Jimmy.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think this the wrong place to ask...
But anyways, please note that memory (RAM) is everything. Apps will be bigger in the future, so please consider spending some money on at least 256MB of any sort of RAM that fits on your motherboard, 512MB is even better. More than that is (still) not really needed.
And second, celerons are fine for most things except upcomming 3D games. But well that is a moving target, and then you will also 'need' a good 3D card. I now have an Epia 800 running here, and it does office stuff and webbrowsing just fine. The processor is equivalent to a PII-250/300, it has 256MB of RAM. Go figure. I can even login with multiple users and it use still usable.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'd go for the "lowest" chip you can pay for, put a bit more memory, and upgrade after some time to the best chip which fits in the mobo. That way you are happy for a long time 
And you might try Koffice (1.3 will be out soon I guess) it runs alot faster than OO, esp if you use KDE - but it has a little less features - which you probably dont need anyway...
For just plain typing and doing a table or 2, few pics etc - it is really sufficient. looks great too
-
Thanks for your input Henk. I dont know where else to ask!
I Googled about, without much success. Especially re. Epox
boards.
I run a 500mhz Celeron, 128 meg memory at the moment.
Mostly fine, but Open office is a real slug for me.
Having such a nice motherboard it would be a shame either
not to use it or spoil it by not fitting a suitable CPU.
I am running a HD instal of Knoppix. before I spend money on
DDR ram and CPU, I need to be sure it will run. I Googled quite a bit regarding Intel Extreme Graphics, but again did not find much..
Thanks again, Jimmy.
-
-
Senior Member
registered user
hmmm you should go to epox's site and check what proc's fit on your mobo. I'd take the best value for money - for example if the prices are like this
1000 mhz $100 (lowest fitting on mobo)
1300 mhz $110
1500 mhz $120
1800 mhz $200
2000 mhz $300
2500 mhz $500(heaviest for mobo)
I'd go for the $120 proc. then after lets say 2 years you wanna upgrade and just buy the (cheap by then) 2500!
an 1 gig (1000 mhz) is enough for normal browsing/mailing/word etc so go for at least 1 gigahertz. and 256 mb is a nice minimum, for a fast KDE box 512 should be better (dont believe those selling pc's who always try to give a better proc and less ram, thats bullshit. for normal work, more ram = more performance)
north/south bridge is not important 
just check the max mem speed your mobo can have (something like 233/266/333) and buy that ram.
And maybe for you ARK linux whould be better, its very much targeted on newbies, very easy (4-clicks installer). Knoppix is debian, and debian isnt that easy. Nice if you want to learn, but not if you just wanna use and not wanna know...
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Hitachi HUS726060ALA640 6TB 7.2K SATA 3.5 6G HDD Hard Disc Drive
$109.99

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00

Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e/4Kn HDD
$199.00