-
cdrom not found on boot
I am trying to boot knoppix on an old 486 with a sony cdu33a cdrom that runs off a sound card. Machine can't boot from cdrom. Have made boot disk using mkfloppy from the knoppix cd. When I boot knoppix from floppy, says searching for cdrom, can't find cdrom, then drops to limited filesystem. (I entered cheat codes for text mode, mem, screen, etc. I know cd is good, runs knoppix on another machine.) Is there a command I can pass to knoppix at boot to tell how to find the cdrom?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix looks for IDE and SCSI CD-Rom drives. I don't think it has support for the proprietary Sony, Mitsumi, Panasonic and Teac pre-ide models.
-
Senior Member
registered user
RE: cdrom not found on boot
<snip>
I am trying to boot knoppix on an old 486 with a sony cdu33a cdrom that runs off a sound card.
</snip>
As stonent says, Knoppix can't find the CD-ROM because it's hanging off the sound card. You can buy an IDE (ATA) CD-ROM for about $20-40 these days that will be faster and more compatible -- they are relatively easy to install.
When you DO get it running, you may find that something like IceWM will run more smoothly than the default KDE window manager.
Similar Threads
-
By jackiechen858 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-09-2004, 02:29 AM
-
By kezzar in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-23-2004, 08:47 PM
-
By Pete... in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-02-2003, 01:59 AM
-
By pap2003 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-06-2003, 05:31 PM
-
By Koga in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB
$160.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00

Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 15.6 i7-1260P 16GB 1TB SSD Laptop FAST SHIP
$349.99