-
Nvidia splash screen, now what?
I installed the Nvidia drivers and now get the splash screen when I boot up. However my GForce4 MX card is not detected. Under Display for a video card is selected ALL. I do not see the GForce4 MX under Nvidia. Nor am I able to run any GL type screensavers.
I'm a noobe learning fast, but I must be missing something. Please help
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Nvidia splash screen, now what?

Originally Posted by
dave52355
I installed the Nvidia drivers and now get the splash screen when I boot up. However my GForce4 MX card is not detected. Under Display for a video card is selected ALL. I do not see the GForce4 MX under Nvidia. Nor am I able to run any GL type screensavers.
I'm a noobe learning fast, but I must be missing something. Please help
Thanks
You should check the default depth of your display I believe if it is above 16 bit the screensavers will not work. To check if it is working open a console window and glxgears and you should see some spinning wheels (gears) this should work at higher resoulutions at least it does on my machine. A link to the Nvidia forum if you have not already found it.
BTW if you want to get rid of the logo your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 should look like this:
Code:
Driver "nvidia"
Option "NoLogo" "on"
-
Senior Member
registered user
You should also install yanc:
http://yanc.sourceforge.net/index-en.html
It allows easy configuration of things and includes a button to turn on/off the nvidia logo. Yanc is also the easiest way I have found to configure TV-out.
-
OK, I get the spinning gears. But with the vid card detected as All/All I am not able to change my screen resolution from 640X480 color 8. Should I choose one of the cards listed in the Nvidia selection even though there is no GForce 4?
Thanks
Also dl yanc
yanc say's the drivers to old!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thx for the glxgears and yanc tips.
--BTW, I replaced my ancient Riva TNT2 card with a Geforce4 MX440, and in both Linux + Win everything works perfectly. I did reinstall the Linux driver JIC, but not sure if it's absolutely necessary.
@Dave - did you follow all of nvidia's directions when installing the drivers? You have to comment out stuff like this in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
## Load "GLcore" # xxx 2003.0528 Removed for nvidia
## Load "dri" # xxx Removed for nvidia
.
.
.
# Driver "nv" # xxx Removed for nvidia
Driver "nvidia" # xxx 2003.0528
-
I used the old installer script to do the install. But I also checked the config files for the changes. I also tried most current drivers from nvidia but they would not install says I have a gcc error. I tried:
IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH
export EXPORT_CC_MISMATCH=1
Nothing seemed to happen when I entered these in root still got the same errors. If it would help I can post the install log file.
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
dave52355
I used the old installer script to do the install. But I also checked the config files for the changes. I also tried most current drivers from nvidia but they would not install says I have a gcc error. I tried:
IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH
export EXPORT_CC_MISMATCH=1
Nothing seemed to happen when I entered these in root still got the same errors. If it would help I can post the install log file.
Thanks
Try export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95 before the compile.
-
Nope get the same error gcc-check error 1
Something about failed cc sanity (They must know my history...)
Anyways, open to other ideas
Thanks
Similar Threads
-
By Nikolay in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-24-2005, 05:22 PM
-
By spiff1281 in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-11-2004, 10:33 AM
-
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 03:05 PM
-
By kwiat in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-13-2004, 06:47 PM
-
By johncarlson21 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 07-16-2003, 06:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day
$188.24

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00