Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: OT: in search of a spam-filtering mailhost

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555

    OT: in search of a spam-filtering mailhost

    My email address seems to have turned into a spam trap, lately.
    As I am pretty sure some of you know the feeling, I thought I'd ask
    if you had a free or cheap online filtering service to recommend.
    I have been using SpamAssasin and lately MozillaMail, which both do a
    reasonable job.

    But these are client-side solutions, so if I stop reading my
    mail for say a week because I am on holidays, chances
    are spam will overflow my mailbox, and block legitimate
    messages. An ideal solution would be a filter running on a host
    with a web front-end allowing me to review the suspect emails
    for a week or so. Possibilities to adjust the spam threshold and
    edit one's whitelist (if SpamAssassin is used) would be handy as well.

    Actually, www.oddpost.com looks almost ideal, except it supports IE,
    hence Windows only. Thanks for sharing your experience if you have
    found such a service and are happy with it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    Spam filtering option.

    Howdy. The best span filtering that I've found lies right at the ISP. I use earthlink and they have 3 levels of filtering for each mailbox. I have 8 of them and I used to get overwhelmed with spam. When you set the highest level, only email that you specifically allow will get through to your machine. Earthlink will send you a spam summary each week and you can easily pick and choose which mail you want to have delivered.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    This may sound irrelavent but have you thought about 'renting' the VPS stuff which is getting more popular and cheaper now, as a linux user. That way, one has his own virtual server, ip, domain and can install any spam killer and other stuff.

Similar Threads

  1. filtering internet content
    By dfield58 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 07:31 PM
  2. mail-filtering for dummies
    By slc in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 06:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72