I tried bringing up the 3.3 (2003-09-24) Knoppix on a dual Athlon using the ASUS A7M266-D today. It booted up fine and everything seemed ok, except the onboard CM8738 Audio which didn't make a peep.
Having a quick look around I discovered that while the cmpci module was loading into the kernel, it wasn't actually initialising the device properly. Looking in /proc/pci I discovered that no IRQ was being assigned to the device and then a dmesg error made clear that no irq was assigned to the device, probably due to a bad map.
I hunted around for possible solutions and tried making a few BIOS changes (one of which, disabling the MP table) caused the kernel to Ooops. So I tried switching off the BIOS Boot->"Plug and Play OS" option and everything came good.
Just wanted to post this in here for the next poor sucker searching for a solution to this!

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99
Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00
Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA
$325.00
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99
Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99
Intel Xeon W-2245 3.90Ghz 8 Core 16.5MB CPU Processor SRH02
$140.00
Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99
Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00