-
Newbie Help - Recovering Data, Copying Files, Using CD-RW
Hi Everyone!
Basically, I’m trying to use Knoppix to recover a non-bootable XP drive, on selected files (that Knoppix can read)
I’ve read many posts on setting up Knoppix for CD-RW and copying files, but haven’t seen anything work yet.
Using the latest version 3.3, I boot up normally, it sees all the devices:
External USB 24x CD-RW
External USB Flash Drive
It can read the files on these devices, but I’m prevented to write to them. I use the “right” mouse key to change “rewrite’ mode, and do it again to “mount” the drive.
With two windows, opened, I click on the hard drive folder and “copy”, then go the the USB Flash Drive Device and say “paste”… It looks like it’s collecting the files and gets ready to “write”, but instead I get an error message “could not make directory…”
I try to use the K3B CD-writer (after using the setup menu), and get an error message, it can’t find “cdrecord” and to “load the CDRTOOLS”… I can’t seem to find the cdrtools program to load???
I’ve got a little Windows experience (20 + years), but no Linux what-so-ever…
Can someone explain, step by step, for this Linux newbie on the correct procedure to “turn-on” the correct software switches and be able to “write” to these above USB devices… At this stage, I’ll be happy just copying files from the HD to the USB Flash Drive…
The mounting/unmounting and K3B cdrecord has me more than confused… (I really did read a number of writeups and still going in circlesJ)
Help, Please?
Similar Threads
-
By farlight in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-26-2005, 10:45 AM
-
By StryDeR in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 02-23-2005, 08:00 AM
-
By Detonator in forum Laptops
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-04-2005, 02:05 AM
-
By Detonator in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-03-2005, 02:44 PM
-
By doktor in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 06:54 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025
$22.00

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$69.00

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e/4Kn HDD
$199.00