Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Nvidia splash screen, now what?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    50

    Nvidia splash screen, now what?

    I installed the Nvidia drivers and now get the splash screen when I boot up. However my GForce4 MX card is not detected. Under Display for a video card is selected ALL. I do not see the GForce4 MX under Nvidia. Nor am I able to run any GL type screensavers.

    I'm a noobe learning fast, but I must be missing something. Please help

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Nvidia splash screen, now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by dave52355
    I installed the Nvidia drivers and now get the splash screen when I boot up. However my GForce4 MX card is not detected. Under Display for a video card is selected ALL. I do not see the GForce4 MX under Nvidia. Nor am I able to run any GL type screensavers.

    I'm a noobe learning fast, but I must be missing something. Please help

    Thanks
    You should check the default depth of your display I believe if it is above 16 bit the screensavers will not work. To check if it is working open a console window and glxgears and you should see some spinning wheels (gears) this should work at higher resoulutions at least it does on my machine. A link to the Nvidia forum if you have not already found it.

    BTW if you want to get rid of the logo your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 should look like this:

    Code:
    Driver      "nvidia"
    Option      "NoLogo" "on"

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    You should also install yanc:

    http://yanc.sourceforge.net/index-en.html

    It allows easy configuration of things and includes a button to turn on/off the nvidia logo. Yanc is also the easiest way I have found to configure TV-out.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    50
    OK, I get the spinning gears. But with the vid card detected as All/All I am not able to change my screen resolution from 640X480 color 8. Should I choose one of the cards listed in the Nvidia selection even though there is no GForce 4?

    Thanks

    Also dl yanc

    yanc say's the drivers to old!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    Thx for the glxgears and yanc tips.

    --BTW, I replaced my ancient Riva TNT2 card with a Geforce4 MX440, and in both Linux + Win everything works perfectly. I did reinstall the Linux driver JIC, but not sure if it's absolutely necessary.

    @Dave - did you follow all of nvidia's directions when installing the drivers? You have to comment out stuff like this in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

    ## Load "GLcore" # xxx 2003.0528 Removed for nvidia
    ## Load "dri" # xxx Removed for nvidia
    .
    .
    .
    # Driver "nv" # xxx Removed for nvidia
    Driver "nvidia" # xxx 2003.0528

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    50
    I used the old installer script to do the install. But I also checked the config files for the changes. I also tried most current drivers from nvidia but they would not install says I have a gcc error. I tried:

    IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH

    export EXPORT_CC_MISMATCH=1

    Nothing seemed to happen when I entered these in root still got the same errors. If it would help I can post the install log file.

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by dave52355
    I used the old installer script to do the install. But I also checked the config files for the changes. I also tried most current drivers from nvidia but they would not install says I have a gcc error. I tried:

    IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH

    export EXPORT_CC_MISMATCH=1

    Nothing seemed to happen when I entered these in root still got the same errors. If it would help I can post the install log file.

    Thanks
    Try export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95 before the compile.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    50
    Nope get the same error gcc-check error 1

    Something about failed cc sanity (They must know my history...)

    Anyways, open to other ideas

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. KDE Loading Splash screen
    By Nikolay in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 05:22 PM
  2. lilo splash screen
    By spiff1281 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 10:33 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 03:05 PM
  4. Logo, splash screen or wallpaper needed?
    By kwiat in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 06:47 PM
  5. LILO Splash screen?????
    By johncarlson21 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 06:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99