-
Wont boot on Toshiba Portege 3480ct
I am trying to get Knoppix to boot but it keeps hanging after it detects my processor (Petium III Coppermine 600MHz, 256 kb cache) It detects the APM bios and I have tried "knoppix noapm" and it still hangs. I also tried "knoppix failsafe" and have the same issue. Any advice? I would really love to get it running on my laptop.
Thx
-
Two suggestions, based on the idea that Knoppix post 2003-06-06 does not recognise the MBR on a hard disk.
a) Register for Knoppix Bugzilla and vote for bug 246
b) Try using Knoppix 3.2 dated 2003-06-06 (or earlier) and you may be able to boot to Knoppix
The HD partition recognition routines changed in June, but I've not been able to check them out, due to other hassles. Knoppix otherwise (scream) seems to work fine on Toshiba machines.
Good luck
E&OE(!)
R.
-
Hi!
Don't know if you got anywhere with your 3480CT but I have EXACTLY the same symptoms (and tried exactly the same solutions as you) on a 3490CT. I also tried the 3.2 MiB version of Knoppix with exactly the same result.
If you got anywhere on this one, perhaps you can help me since these machines are almost identical (including the drivers) !! 
KiKi.
-
Solution found on 3490CT
I got this to work on a 3490CT as follows:
- Enter bios on startup by pressing "Esc" key whilst the Toshiba startup window is still displayed (in red letters)
- Once in bios, PgDn key to get to page 2/2
- In the right column of page 2 go to PC Card section
- Change Controller mode from default (auto) to "PCIC Compatible"
This should solve the problem if, like me, you are using the Toshiba port replicator CD drive.
Terris.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Pardon me for being dense, but why does MBR detection have anything to do with knoppix freezing during boot? AFAIK you can boot knoppix with no HDD installed at all, much less an MBR. I regularly boot knoppix to perform HDD installs on drives that have been zero-filled from start to finish. No problems. Just seems like a misleading answer to the question...
Similar Threads
-
By explosion242 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-13-2005, 08:43 PM
-
By Bklynjava in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 11-23-2004, 02:37 PM
-
By proto in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
-
By lazydayz in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-16-2003, 11:26 PM
-
By hannskis in forum Laptops
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-22-2003, 07:46 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00

Juniper Networks 25GBASE-LR SMF 25Gbps 10km 1310nm LC SFP 740-071562 Lot 10
$1200.00

JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU
$6998.00

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99