Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How do I use mdsum?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6

    How do I use mdsum?

    Okay, I am probably even ruining whatever the checksum system is called. I downloaded 3.2. It ran fine on my e-machine (2.2 GHz, Celeron processor) and an older packard bell. (300 MHz. Cyprix processor.) But not everything on the disk ran. Just well enought to make me keep trying. So I downloaded Knoppix 3.3. Runs fine on the e-machine, with a few things that don't seem to work. On the packard bell, which is where I hoped to explore Linux before I did something critical to the other machine, I get as far as the boot prompt and the screen goes grey. And that's it.

    I thought checking the quality of the download was the best place to start. Any suggestions where to learn more about how to use the checksum system?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11
    Using md5sum is real easy once you find out how to use it. It took me a while to figure it out, too.

    If you're using linux, open a konsole window and cd into the directory with the file you want to check (eg: cd /home/name/downloads)

    Then type: md5sum filename
    (replace filename with the complete name of the file you want to check)

    After a short wait it will produce a long sequence of numbers and letters. Compare this with the checksum number given by the download site. They must match.


    If you are using windows you'll need to download md5sum.exe (search google) and move it to the windows directory. Then it's Start>Run and enter 'md5sum filename' in the run box.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    How do you make an md5sum?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    How do you make an md5sum?
    If you're using linux, open a konsole window and cd into the directory with the file you want to make an md5sum (eg: cd /home/name/downloads)

    Then type: md5sum filename
    (replace filename with the complete name of the file you want to make a md5sum)

    After a short wait it will produce a long sequence of numbers and letters. This is your md5sum.


    If you are using windows you'll need to download md5sum.exe (search google) and move it to the windows directory. Then it's Start>Run and enter 'md5sum filename' in the run box.


  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6

    Try this

    I found a great utility that seems to do it. It is a drag and drop program. I think it called Winmd5sum, but it is made my [email protected].

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Thanks, I know how to do it in windows. Figures it would be incredibly simple to do in linux...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



OWC Express 4M2 USB4 40Gb/s 4-Slot NVMe M.2 SSD RAID Enclosure w/ Cable picture

OWC Express 4M2 USB4 40Gb/s 4-Slot NVMe M.2 SSD RAID Enclosure w/ Cable

$125.00



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00