Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: No Sound from Toshiba 5005-s504

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23

    No Sound from Toshiba 5005-s504

    Hello,

    I am an EXTREMLEY new newbie at all of this, so bear with me.

    I am using Knoppix verison 3.2 that boots from a CD-Rom. My computer is a Toshiba Satellite S5005-S504, and I have a problem with my onboard sound. I'm not quite sure what the specific problem is or how to fix it other than that the sound does not work. Has anybody else come across such a problem?

    Thanks for your responses.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: No Sound from Toshiba 5005-s504

    Quote Originally Posted by jtsai256
    Hello,

    I am an EXTREMLEY new newbie at all of this, so bear with me.

    I am using Knoppix verison 3.2 that boots from a CD-Rom. My computer is a Toshiba Satellite S5005-S504, and I have a problem with my onboard sound. I'm not quite sure what the specific problem is or how to fix it other than that the sound does not work. Has anybody else come across such a problem?

    Thanks for your responses.
    Try to boot with "knoppix alsa"

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23
    Thanks for the tip Fabianx. Unfortunately I have no idea what that means since I'm really new at this stuff.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by jtsai256
    Thanks for the tip Fabianx. Unfortunately I have no idea what that means since I'm really new at this stuff.
    When you start the CD and you get to the screen with the knoppix graphic there is a boot: prompt at the bottom of the screen this is where you would type in the knoppix alsa then enter a list other cheat codes you may need.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23

    Found a patch...

    Thanks, Fabianx and Stephen for helping me.
    The ALSA cheat code doesn't seem to work.

    Supposedly sound doesn't work for this laptop because it uses ACPI to do IRQ routing. I found a linux patch for ACPI support at:

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=36832

    and I need help 'installing' this patch. Thanks, everybody, for your help thus far.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23
    Hello,
    In my never ending quest for sound on my Toshiba Satellite 5005-S504 I tried ALSA at boot up. This, however, still did not work and gave me the following message:

    PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pinB of device 00:1f.5. Please try using pci=biosirq
    ALSA ../alsa -kernel/pci/intel8x0.c:2253: unable to grab IRQ 0
    Intel ICH Soundcard not found or device busy

    I then tried typing pci=biosirq at bootup but that just froze my comp. Any suggestions? Thanks.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    indonesia
    Posts
    2
    Maybe you can try to install kx into your notebook by command "knx-hdinstall", and then install a new version of alsa driver,

    After booting and login, type "sndconfig" into console, choose your soundcard type. Maybe work

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23
    I did a hd install of knoppix 3.3, and I tried the sndconfig in console, but it said that my sound card is not supported... I guess I'm out of luck... anything else I can try? Thanks everybody for helping me out. I really appreciate it.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    indonesia
    Posts
    2
    Upgrade your alsa or recompile your kernel, first, you must have a kernel source of course. Maybe it works.

Similar Threads

  1. Sound troubles Toshiba satellite 1805-s274
    By wazeh in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 01:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-25-2004, 02:32 AM
  3. Toshiba s504 trouble booting
    By zeeboid in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-15-2004, 05:10 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 01:47 PM
  5. sound Toshiba 480 CDT, crashing sndconfig
    By teststrips in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2003, 02:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge T140 Tower Intel E-2146G 3.5Ghz | 32GB RAM | H330 | 365w | iDRAC9 picture

Dell PowerEdge T140 Tower Intel E-2146G 3.5Ghz | 32GB RAM | H330 | 365w | iDRAC9

$549.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00