Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How to set up USB keyboard in XF86Config

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    2

    How to set up USB keyboard in XF86Config

    I'm having some trouble with my Logitech USB keyboard on my Toshiba laptop (sometimes I need an external monitor and keyboard ). When I am in console mode, the keyboard is recognized correctly and works fine. But as soon as I run X, the keyboard is no longer recognized. I've tried googling around for the right Inputdevice setup in Xf86Config-4, but am unable to find one.

    Any help would be appreciated!

    Regards,

    Eirik

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1
    EirikN,

    Did you think to try booting the computer from the CD and then copying the config file? Here's a factoid that might help:

    Very Easy X Setup (video, mouse, keyboard): Use Knoppix to boot your machine and then do: "sudo su; mount -t ext2 /dev/hda2 /mnt; mv /mnt/etc/XF86Config-4 /mnt/etc/XF86Config-4-backup-on`/bin/date +%m_%d_%Y_%a_%I_%M_%p`; cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/etc/XF86Config-4; umount /mnt; reboot" ...and take the CD out before you reboot.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by sgeiger
    Very Easy X Setup (video, mouse, keyboard): Use Knoppix to boot your machine and then do: "sudo su; mount -t ext2 /dev/hda2 /mnt; mv /mnt/etc/XF86Config-4 /mnt/etc/XF86Config-4-backup-on`/bin/date +%m_%d_%Y_%a_%I_%M_%p`; cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/etc/XF86Config-4; umount /mnt; reboot" ...and take the CD out before you reboot.
    Hmmm - perhaps I didn't explain clearly enough: I've installed Knoppix 3.3 on the laptop's harddisk, so the Xf86Config-4 files are exactly the same on /hda2 and the CD-ROM (with one small language modification). In other words, this wouldn't make a difference, would it?

Similar Threads

  1. How do i edit XF86Config-4???
    By donutman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 07:24 PM
  2. xf86config ? xf86config-4
    By Tomal in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 12:54 AM
  3. XF86Config
    By anaEiD in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 08:20 AM
  4. XF86Config-4, but no mouse
    By easytiger in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 06:09 PM
  5. I messed up XF86Config-4
    By backdoc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 12:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI i7-4790K 16GB Mini-ITX Combo I/O Shield picture

Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI i7-4790K 16GB Mini-ITX Combo I/O Shield

$99.00



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$95.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99