Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Does this exist?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2

    Does this exist?

    I would love to have a simple, portable device running Knoppix that would just be used for email.

    Yes, I could use my Toshiba notebook, but I would like something lighter, cheaper and smaller. I bought one of those "email" units for a friend (all he wanted was email) who has a hard time figuring out how to plau anything into the electrical socket ! But that is too simple....

    If you can, email me at [email protected]

    Todd

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    I have been searching for such a thing too, a simple and secure browser/email environment for my mother. Still not found the right hardware/software configuration.

    The best option I've come up with, was to buy a cheap EPIA box, put knoppix on it and strip it down. I'm currently downloading a current knoppix version (want to try the new knoppix-installer). I'll log what I removed.

    To have it portable I would buy a Siemens Simpad, this is a TabletPC slate with Pocket Windows CE 3.0 or 4.x, 64MB ROM, 64MB RAM. I found one secondhand for 300EUR (dutch). Buy a WiFi PCMCIA card and a PCI WiFi card on it and run VNC over an SSH tunnel. Such a setup will only be portable within your home.

    But yes, I know this is a far too technical solution, but cheap 'laptops' (I mean screen, storage and processing unit, in one packet) seem to be a sine-qua-non.

    btw, there is also a linux distro for the Simpad, and you seem to be able to run Opera on it. Though Opera won't licence that to you, so it would be illegal. It also has Konqueror (not sure) and Dillo (fast, but doesn't know many html codes) as browser.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2

    Generic laptop

    Some years ago I saw a laptop that had a keyboard that was hinged. When swung up, all of the components were accessible - at least the ones that may need to be replaced. And as I recall, the price was quite affordable. But that is probably why I do not see a similar laptop today...no money in it.

    However, if you should come across something like that, let me know.

    Todd

    [email protected]

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    /proc/uber-GOD
    Posts
    5

    http://www.tiqit.com/

    Well, although it's not out just yet, it will be soon. It's called "Tiqit", and the thing is a laptop squessed into something slightly thicker than a StarTrek Padd. Here's the website, check it out:

    http://www.tiqit.com/

    Accourding to them XP Pro runs, and so does Linux. it has full key board, although quite small... 640x480 screen... and it's touch....

Similar Threads

  1. file:/mnt/floppy does not exist
    By flebber in forum General Support
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 09:09 PM
  2. TTY2->5 don't exist
    By rabinhood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 09:27 AM
  3. Programs I kinda Need... does anyone know if they exist?
    By chris-harry in forum General Support
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 12:47 PM
  4. Does Lyx really exist on the cd version?
    By Rob_S in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 03:17 PM
  5. file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist
    By UselessPython in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2003, 02:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$59.99



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



New PNY Pro Elite V3 1TB USB-A Flash Drive picture

New PNY Pro Elite V3 1TB USB-A Flash Drive

$79.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$7.99



FLASHFORGE AD5X Upgraded Multi-Color 3D Printer CoreXY High-Speed Auto Refill US picture

FLASHFORGE AD5X Upgraded Multi-Color 3D Printer CoreXY High-Speed Auto Refill US

$349.00



Apple MFi Flash Drive Memory Storage Photo Stick for iPhone iPad Lightning USB C picture

Apple MFi Flash Drive Memory Storage Photo Stick for iPhone iPad Lightning USB C

$37.99