Well since Knoppix runs independently of the hard disc and the OS on that hard disc then yes- any Knoppix will run on a win98 machine.
is there a version of knoppix that can run on a windows 98 computer?
Well since Knoppix runs independently of the hard disc and the OS on that hard disc then yes- any Knoppix will run on a win98 machine.
Yes I know that but I tried to install knoppix on my win 98 but when it didn't work I checked to see if my coputer was set to boot from the d drive and found out there was only the choices to boot in the A and C drives.
i
If your machine is incapable of booting from cd then you need to boot from floppy. (The a drive as M$ likes to call it). Boot windows, mount the Knoppix cdrom and look for a .bat file (makefloppy.bat??) to make a floppy Knoppix floppy under windows. Sorry I don't have a Knoppix cd handy to look right now.
The problem is I can't get into windows. my computer will only make it partway through the startup. thats why I am trying to use knoppix to recover my data.
Hmmmmm- that's a problem isn't it. Do you have access to another machine to make the floppy? Personally I would use a Linux floppy like Tom's rtbt to mount the cdrom and make the boot floppy from there. I doubt that you have one of those lying around though. If you have a win98 floppy then you could boot it cd into the cdrom directory and run makefloppy.bat from there.Originally Posted by Jared
Yes I do use another machine, a win NT and could make a floppy but wouldn't it take a whole bunch of floppies to copy the knoppix OS cd? I am not a computer wiz and am new to linux so Tom's rtbt means nothing to me. Could you explain? I don't have a win98 boot floppy either (besides the normal ones that the computer comes with and erases all of you data).
No, just one floppy. The idea is to make a "pointer" to the CD. So you put in the floppy and the CD and set the computer to boot from floppy. The computer will look at the floppy start to load Knoppix and then look for a CD. This allows you to get around the problem of not being able to boot directly to the CD.
-Dustin
sounds good, so, how exactly do I do this?

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95
SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00
Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99
Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07
LOT OF 10 NEW Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-Line PoE Speakerphone VoIP Desk Phone
$699.99
Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00
Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black
$44.00
Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28
Lot Of 5 Poly Edge E550 82M91AA IP Desktop Phone PoE New In Box
$1500.00
Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99