Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix Cheatcodes

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    13

    Knoppix Cheatcodes

    During boot (from the CD), what is the correct syntax for combinations of cheatcodes at the boot prompt? Is the following acceptable?

    boot: knoppix home=scan myconfig=scan lang=us

    or


    boot: knoppix home=scan knoppix myconfig=scan knoppix lang=scan

    Which is correct? Can prefernce combinations be typed without additional "knoppix" statements on the same boot line. Please bear with me, I am quite new to Linux, but am so happy to have an alternative to Microsoft.[/img]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Knoppix Cheatcodes

    Quote Originally Posted by RE Dude
    During boot (from the CD), what is the correct syntax for combinations of cheatcodes at the boot prompt? Is the following acceptable?

    boot: knoppix home=scan myconfig=scan lang=us
    That is correct.


    boot: knoppix home=scan knoppix myconfig=scan knoppix lang=scan
    I don't think that'll work.

    You see- what you are doing is

    A) Selecting the kernel to boot i.e. knoppix or failsafe.
    B) Adding parameters to be passed to the kernel when it boots e.g. noscsi nodma etc. etc. Knoppix has been modified to accept an unusually long line of commands at the boot prompt.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    13
    Many thanks to you.

    I thought the latter (with multiple knoppix) looked wrong, but I wasn't for certain. I had to post that question, because in the past I typed:

    boot: knoppix lang=us myconfig=scan home=scan keyboard=us (and so on)

    This resulted in some strange things when my desktop loaded. Icons were all over the place (misaligned) and subdirectories I created for other purposes (in my home directory) were missing. This is now working, but applications like AbiWord don't save documents --- at all. I'm sure it's something I've done, because for the most part. Knoppix works great!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by RE Dude
    Many thanks to you.

    I thought the latter (with multiple knoppix) looked wrong, but I wasn't for certain. I had to post that question, because in the past I typed:

    boot: knoppix lang=us myconfig=scan home=scan keyboard=us (and so on)

    This resulted in some strange things when my desktop loaded. Icons were all over the place (misaligned) and subdirectories I created for other purposes (in my home directory) were missing. This is now working, but applications like AbiWord don't save documents --- at all. I'm sure it's something I've done, because for the most part. Knoppix works great!!!
    Beleive it or not I've never even tried to use the persistent home feature of Knoppix. I have either installed it or use it to save dead M$ machines where everything is temporary anyway. In order to save an Abiword document you'd need to mount a hard drive partition read-write and save it to that partition. That is of course if it isn't an NTFS drive.

Similar Threads

  1. Hardcode Cheatcodes ?
    By djarum in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 04:02 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.8.1 - desktop cheatcodes
    By Mathiasdm in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 10:12 PM
  3. How to do bootline cheatcodes when knoppix is on the hd
    By goudiemark in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 09:19 AM
  4. Cheatcodes ..where is it ?
    By larryks in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 12:43 PM
  5. Cheatcodes
    By George Wiedmann in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2003, 05:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard picture

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard

$54.99