Hi. I have been using the latest Knoppix 3.3 recently and I am very impressed with how it installs a working system with the latest tools that also supports Debian packaging. I tried a standard Debian stable/testing setup and it was a lot of messing around to get something similar to Knoppix working (and the upgrade to testing took a number of runs before it succeeded). So I'd rather keep my life simple and start out with a system that is configured to work from the start.

My question is, when a newer Knoppix release comes out, is there an easy upgrade path without requiring me to nuke my partition and recopy it on again? Is there a way to grab the package list from the next Knoppix release, and feed it into apt-get to make sure my system is in sync with the latest?

I have been playing around with apt-get upgrade but it seems to want to upgrade a pile of stuff because Knoppix is based on testing/unstable which changes quickly over time. I'd rather not blindly upgrade everything because things will break due to their unstable nature.

thanks,
Wayne