Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: alsa problems

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4

    alsa problems

    I did the hard drive install and got everything working except ALSA. That includes the Nvidia driver for my Geforce2 card, printing, ADSL connection, everything I tried. Boy was I impressed. Then I tried Ardour and quickly realized it wasn't going anywhere without ALSA. So I found the "/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig" command discussed here, tried it, and immediately lost X-windows. When it tried to get to KDM, it just flickered a few times and defaulted to the command line prompt. No message or hint as to what was wrong.
    Well, I noticed that there was a new version of Knoppix out, with updates to ALSA. I also figured maybe I need to get ALSA working before I mess with the Nvidia drivers. So I started all over again. This time it didn't kill X, (I haven't tried the Nvidia driver yet), but it's still not working. When I try XMMS with the ALSA plugin selected, I get the standard "You've got the wrong plugin selected or Something's in the way of the soundcard or Soundcard is not properly configured" message.

    My system:
    Albatron KX400 with AMD XP 2100+ 512 DDR
    Dual booting Windows XP and linux on one 40G Western Digital drive.
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card and onboard VIA sound system.
    Nvidia Geforce2 AGP.

    The onboard sound was enabled on install. I tried shutting it off afterward and it made no difference. I don't think Knoppix likes it. Seems like I saw an error message about it on install. Should I disable onboard sound and try the install again?

    This isn't much to go on, I know, but I don't know enough to get meaningful error messages at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

    --Chase

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    OK, then let me ask another question. Has anybody gotten ALSA to work in version 3.3? How about 3.2?

Similar Threads

  1. alsa 1.0.6
    By Dextro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 07:49 PM
  2. Alsa problem; alsa-autoconfig does not work
    By ScreamingTemporalDoom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 08:48 AM
  3. problems with alsa alsa-autoconfig doesn't seem to work
    By dzogchen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 06:37 AM
  4. ALSA problems
    By DimGR in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 06:33 PM
  5. ALSA / XMMS problems
    By DimGR in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 04:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11 picture

NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11

$450.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$354.48



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00