Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: What modem should I get?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5

    What modem should I get?

    HI

    I just tried out knoppix for the first time and quickly learned that it won't work (easily) with my modem (winmodem). Since I'm new to linux, I don't want to try of the "workarounds" for my modem-which "might" be possible.

    So I'm thinking about getting a new modem, but am a bit unclear as to what I need. Searching pricewatch.com, I see many very cheap ($10) "hardware modems". Will any hardware modem work? I was hoping someone could post a specific modems that would work under Knoppix (without installing to the hard drive).The cheaper the better!

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    84
    You can find what hardware works in Linux at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/index.html
    But don't worry most hardware modems work. When searching for non winmodems look for words like controller-based and hardware modem. One thing to know is that some hardware PCI modems use ttyS4. For Win/DOS users ttyS4 is com5. For some reason it is not standard for Linux distros to include ttyS4. So you might have to type this into a root shell:
    cd /dev
    ./MAKEDEV ttyS4
    ln -s ttyS4 modem
    chmod 777 modem
    chmod 777 ttyS4
    This will set up your default modem to run on ttyS4. But hopefully you will not have to do that.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9

    What modem should I use

    Hi all
    When buying a dial up modem (56k) I would like to suggest to always buy an external serial modem, for one it will free up a pci slot and second it will work with any OS, do not buy a USB modem as these are not a hardware modem.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by MattT
    For some reason it is not standard for Linux distros to include ttyS4.
    It is not "standard" for Linux distributions because that is a non-standard port for a modem to be using.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    84
    It is not "standard" for Linux distributions because that is a non-standard port for a modem to be using.
    I must just be unlucky. Of the two different modems I have used in Linux both had this problem. Also it is common for someone to post on this forum that they can't get their hardware modem to work at all. I post the above script and usually they reply back that that did the trick. So even if it isn't standard I have seen it enough times that it would be nice if Linux distros checked for this.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5

    Re: What modem should I get?

    So I'm thinking about getting a new modem, but am a bit unclear as to what I need. Searching pricewatch.com, I see many very cheap ($10) "hardware modems". Will any hardware modem work? I was hoping someone could post a specific modems that would work under Knoppix (without installing to the hard drive).The cheaper the better!



    I came across this modem http://www.acortech.com/.sc/ms/dd/10...Modem%2520Bulk
    on pricewatch.com. Its external, it mentions its rs232, and it claims to be linux compatable, but doesn't mention 'harware' or 'controller' based. It also seems very cheap-$12 (plus free shipping through pricewatch). Seems to good too be true.

    Anyone care to guess if this would work with knoppix? 8^)

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9

    Which modem should I get

    Hi kipizit
    Buy that one as I said in my earlier post an external serial modem
    is the best because it is genuine hardware, it will work with all
    distributions of Linux and Windows etc.
    Good price too Buy it!

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    20
    I use a US Robotics "Performance Pro" modem. It's a little more expensive, but it works flawlessly in Linux and Windows, and is controller-based. Kudzu (hardware detection in Knoppix) will automatically configure it.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    9
    Hi,

    I have Motorola SM56 PCI/FAX modem. How do I make it work in KNoppix?

Similar Threads

  1. Toshiba internal modem /lucent modem
    By ottosykora in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 11:58 PM
  2. How To Install Modem Aztech Internal Modem Msp3880
    By Mic Q in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
  3. Dial-up Modem Issues. Keeps saying "Initializing Modem&
    By panthrax in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:29 PM
  5. Modem err : ALi Corporation Intel 537 [M5457 AC-Link Modem]
    By www.rzr.online.fr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00