Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Password protection and forced graphical login

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3

    Password protection and forced graphical login

    I am really happy with my customization but now am blocked: I have to enable kdm or xdm to control the access.
    It works in chrooted environment but not on the burned image.
    Tried to launch kdm in /etc/init.d/xsession (after X is started) but with no success (nor with xdm)
    Any help by you gurus would be really appreciated.

    Knoppix is GREAT !

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    196
    don't you have to start *dm instead of starting X?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3
    I thought about this but what about the detection of the accurate X server ?
    I think I also have to play with pam config but I am a little bit lost ....

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    196
    imho it isn't a big problem, just change XFree86 in kdm in xsession. you may have to remove some of the parameters though. Detection isnt done in xsession, it copies XF86Config-4 to /etc/X11/ in knoppix-autoconfig

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3
    Ok but it seems that there's some (re)probing in xsession.
    I can't figure where I should start *dm and how the process could go on after (but it must also be because of my lack of knowledge in Linux)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7
    simply put /etc/init.d/xdm start in your inittab.
    then be sure to copy /etc/X11/XF86config-4 to your chrooted X11.
    it works fine, i did some days ago
    good luck

Similar Threads

  1. Creating a Graphical LDAP login
    By bgsneeze in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 03:27 PM
  2. Can not login as a regular user....forced to use ROOT
    By Orion Pax in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 01:50 PM
  3. no graphical login..
    By koma in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 08:04 AM
  4. Revolving Door Graphical Login
    By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2003, 09:39 PM
  5. How to add password protection ?
    By eporue in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2003, 04:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Dell AT101W GYUM90SK 6780D ps/2 'Clicky' Mechanical Beige Keyboard picture

Vintage Dell AT101W GYUM90SK 6780D ps/2 'Clicky' Mechanical Beige Keyboard

$79.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Compaq Presario 7594 Vintage Desktop PC Windows 98 SE 64MB Floppy CD-ROM picture

Compaq Presario 7594 Vintage Desktop PC Windows 98 SE 64MB Floppy CD-ROM

$129.00



15x Vintage ISA Controller Card Lot IDE MFM RLL Floppy I/O 8-Bit 16-Bit PC XT AT picture

15x Vintage ISA Controller Card Lot IDE MFM RLL Floppy I/O 8-Bit 16-Bit PC XT AT

$149.95



Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8 picture

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8

$170.99



Vintage FCRTM 34T778231G01 / 34T778233-A Card for IBM PC picture

Vintage FCRTM 34T778231G01 / 34T778233-A Card for IBM PC

$99.99



Vintage IBM Parallel Card / PC Board 6347751 picture

Vintage IBM Parallel Card / PC Board 6347751

$99.99



Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard picture

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard

$350.00



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00