Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Using boot.img to boot from HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2

    Using boot.img to boot from HD

    I would like to setup a nice clean workspace to experiment with changes I make to the Knoppix original CD (and than remaster).

    Therefore I followed the "HowToos" on this subject and some of the postings on this server as well. I now understand how I can remaster from source and master dirs using mkisofs and than boot from that fs using a flpooy without burining it (or burn it and use the burned CD).

    My Q is as follows:
    Is there a way to test the changes without going through the long path of mkisofs ?

    What I mean is to preserve the unique knoppix boot sequance using boot.img or a clone but instead of continuing the boot sequance using an ISO fs, continuing the boot sequance using the environment I am developing with as appears in the source dir.

    In other words booting into a 1:1 equivalent KNOPPIX environment but using an uncompressed fs (EXT2) that I can manipulate more easially.

    I hope my Q is clear as I may be still a bit
    David

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2
    Well, I figured out that if I copy the source directory (the same stuff as in KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file) into a new partition

    AND

    change the linuxrc inside the miniroot.gz inside the boot.img to mount my new partition as /KNOPPIX (instead of its original plan to mount a partition which have a KNOPPIX file inside) I can make it work.

    It now works. I boot from "special floppy" to my HD partition. Once I will get the functionality I am after, I will turn it into a KNOPPIX file and possibly burn it.

    I think this is a wonderfull way to test stuff as it is hassle free (just rebooting is required to test the new version). But I will be happy to hear from the remastering experts of any pitfalls or comments about this method.

Similar Threads

  1. grub boot loader read the boot file from a windows partition
    By cli168 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 03:57 AM
  2. Older computer--CD boot works fine, HDD boot means console o
    By Particle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 03:25 PM
  3. installed kanotix to hdb, lost boot option to boot knoppix
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
  4. using knoppix on multi-boot CD's (boot scriptor)
    By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00