Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Nforce 2 Support

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1

    Nforce 2 Support

    i remember previously older versions of Knoppix did not work with the Nforce 2 boards (nic and sound not working). Was wondering if the latest version of the Live CD will work with my Asus A7N8X board properly without downloading outside drivers etc.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Nforce 2 Support

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywork
    i remember previously older versions of Knoppix did not work with the Nforce 2 boards (nic and sound not working). Was wondering if the latest version of the Live CD will work with my Asus A7N8X board properly without downloading outside drivers etc.
    Overclockix has support for the Nforce2 boards you may want to check that out.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    5
    I was looking for the same thing.

    I am downloading Overclockix now. Is it a live CD like Knoppix? Can it be installed to the HDD?

    Are there any other versions with nForce2 support?

    Thanks for the link!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611

    What is Overclockix?

    Overclockix is a remaster of Knoppix 3.2. I'll start working on a 3.3-based remaster in about a month I think. Though the technomancer iso is nearly 3.3 already as far as up-to-date software, it really only lacks the new cheatcodes, and it has a couple of bugs.

    There are two iso's and I don't feel either of them is quite perfect. Here are the differences.

    How overclockix is different from Knoppix:

    1) Looks. The desktops are tweaked. It onlly has KDE, Fluxbox, Icewm, and Twm. I didn't feel it needed the others. There are quite a few of my favorite icons and wallpapers. Also it has a silver 3d cursor.
    2) Less games. Most of the system games are gone. Sorry.
    3) More applications, but I'll get to that in a second.
    4) Drivers. I added Nforce2 drivers, lucent winmodem drivers, the intel/ambient 536ep modem driver, and the bcm4400 NIC driver (found on some kt400 motherboards).

    The 2 iso's:

    Eidolon- This one features many of the network security applications found in Knoppix STD. I also added Opera 7.11, and java and flash plugins, as well as many of fabianX's install-on-demand-into-ramdisk scripts, and aterm for transperant terminals in fluxbox or icewm. Also, I'm an overclocker so I like to add stabiulity testing/burn-in applications. It's got memtest, prime, cpuburn, lucifer, folding@home, and seti@home. Eidolon also has karamba and two themes.

    Technomancer- This one has fewer of the network security testing apps, and more desktop-oriented stuff. Everything was apt-get upgraded to the testing distribution. Mozilla-firebird, OpenOffice 1.1, mplayer, codecs, and mplayer browser plugins, ogle and ogle-gui (for playing dvds). I did better with tweaking fluxbox in this one because I added eterm and was able to change the backgrounds and add more themes. Did a lot more tweaking to icewm too. Technomancer has 4 karamba themes. Only problem is some of the kicker icons don't work and some things in the kmenu don't either. Though you can get everything to work by launching it from the command line. I consider Technomancer and unstable media-orieted version, and I prefer it over Eidolon.


    KDE pics:

    Eidolon



    Technomancer

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2
    I downloaded both distro's Knoppix STD, and Your Version Of Overclockix and seems to be a bug... on the second version...

    the help screen is not lined up right (tried it on 2 monitors, samsung 15" LCD and a 17" NEC CRT.)

    not a big deal but anyways same thing I get with knoppix STD ..Just a Black Screen

    I have tried various boot line commands but none seems to make a difference...

    if anyone can help I would be pumped I want to use this bootable distro on my home pc...

    info on my system:

    MSI nvidia nforce n420 Mobo w/ AMD 1800+
    Integrated sound, Lan, Video (disabled)
    64 ddr SiS Video xaber200 (POS BTW)

    when I try to boot knoppix-txt or fail safe it displays

    loading vmlinuz ........................
    loading miniroot.gz................
    ready.
    uncompressing linux ...

    crc error

    --System halted

    *Thanks if anyone can help*

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    I suspect your video card. Have you tried pulling out your video card and re-enabling the integrated video?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2
    yes I've tried pulling out my agp and using the integrated card and same black screen but after all this I've figured it out..

    my burner has issues writing bootable CDs ...new burner and no problems... stay away from cyber drive I guess!

    --Mark

Similar Threads

  1. Nforce support Knoppix DVD
    By EPSchroder in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 02:56 AM
  2. nforce drivers
    By fraxx in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 06:20 PM
  3. nvidia nforce mcp networking
    By isi in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 09:59 PM
  4. nvidia nforce mcp networking
    By isi in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 10:04 AM
  5. DRIVER INSTALLATION - NFORCE
    By scots_butcher in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 04:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US picture

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US

$41.30