I assume that you mean, that the INIT process on the CD that you remastered is doing this, right? Either way, the init process, at bootup, is supposed to dump messages to the console.
What is the problem. You want a boot splash screen?
I setup my remastering environment, but I keep running into some problems.
Whenever I remaster a CD and remove just a few packages (like openoffice and whatnot), the INIT process starts spewing to the console on bootup.
I haven't changed anything about the init process and startup to my knowledge.
How do I keep INIT quiet?
My first post!![]()
I assume that you mean, that the INIT process on the CD that you remastered is doing this, right? Either way, the init process, at bootup, is supposed to dump messages to the console.
What is the problem. You want a boot splash screen?
Yes, its the INIT process which is logging to the console.
With the original CD, the INIT process was dumping somewhere else.
Which my CD, its going to the console.
I just can't figure out whats changed.
Is there a boot splash screen in the 2.4.22-xfs kernel?
I tried it, but had no luck.
The problem is that I'm trying to clean up the bootup so the users
don't get scared by all the messages.
If you want to use a boot splash screen, look at http://www.bootsplash.org/. You will have to recompile the kernel.
I am not sure where your messages from INIT where going in the version of knoppix before you remastered. They should have been going to the console. I think one of us is confused. What makes you think they were going somewhere else?
Boot with knoppix splash.Originally Posted by boochaka
Knoppix 3.3's 2.4.22-xfs kernel does not seem to be compiled with bootsplash support.Originally Posted by Stephen
Yes it is here's the full change log.Originally Posted by boochaka

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$475.21
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61
External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$16.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$465.98
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1794.16
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
NEW 2026 SGIN 18.5" Laptop Windows 11 PRO Intel N5095 16GB DDR4 1024GB SSD
$444.99
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Gen 14" i7-8650U 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Near Mint
$350.00