try gqcam (from menu)
I'm not sure if this problem is related to Knoppix/Debian or to gphoto2---or a mixture of the two! Whatever, I would really appreciate some guidance, especially as it all worked automagically under Mandrake 9.1.
There are three issues here:
1. I can only access the camera as root (though my user id is a member of the usb group).
2. The camera is identified by 'gphoto2 --auto-detect' as an 'Argus-DC2200' when it is in fact a 'Fuji @xia ix-100', which is supported in the KDE-Control Centre
3. Although wrongly identified gphoto2 will list the files on the camera but is unable to download them, returning:
*** Error ***
An error occurred in the io-library ('Error reading from the port'): No error description available
*** Error (-34: 'Error reading from the port') ***
Testing the camera in KDE Control Centre returns 'Unable to initialize camera... Could not claim USB device'.
Any bright ideas?
Thanks, almala
try gqcam (from menu)
Thanks for the suggestion, but none of the graphical front ends make a connection.
However, after a rather muddled session with the gphoto2 manual I have some results:
1. I can access the camera as an ordinary user,
2. gphoto2 can be forced to recognise the camera correctly,
3. gphoto2 now downloads the photos.
I guess it was partly down to sorting out permissions(!), and possibly to some adjustments to the 'hotplug' setup, though what exactly that has contributed I'm really not sure.
So, command line all the way, but a result.![]()
Cheers, almala

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch
$499.99
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server
$100.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New
$245.00
BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$169.99
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99