Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 3ware 7000 series ata raid controller

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5

    3ware 7000 series ata raid controller

    I can boot up using the knoppix cd, and access my hard drive, but when i install using either the installer programs, (knx-hdinstall or knoppix-installer) it wont boot correctly.. telling me i have a bad root= statement. I look at it and it says root=/dev/sda3 so it looks good, just doesnt boot! I was told 3ware supported linux? should i try new firmware for my controller?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    21

    serial ata device

    you are installing it on 3rd partition? Double check to see if you also have onboard SATA controllers - if it is, your 3Ware controller may not be the first "sdxx" device.

    Also make sure you install the MBR. Assuming Knoppix is the only OS in your system.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5

    sda or hda?

    hmmm I checked and the 3ware is THE ONLY scsi or raid device I have. I was thinking though. Windows seems to recognize it as an ordinary hard drive doesnt it? Once the firmware on the 3ware controller builds the raid array, it is looked at as a normal HD? eH? I could be wrong. But when booting up with knoppix, it labels the hds as Sda.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    57
    Sounds like you've got a problem similar to mine.

    The drivers for your RAID controller are already built into the KNOPPIX kernel. Unfortunately, the initial RAM disk (initrd) doesn't have those same drivers to help the boot loader find the kernel. In other words, the boot loader doesn't have the drivers it needs to find the kernel. In your case, it doesn't matter that the kernel itself has the drivers built-in because we can even find the kernel!

    Did you happen to make a boot floppy during the hdinstall? Does that work? (If you did, I'm not too confident that it would work anyway).

    I've asked FabianX (via e-mail) to shed some light. Once I get a clue, I'll pass on the needed information.

    For more on my situation, ...
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5853

    -SUO

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    3

    Is there a solution?

    Is this topic still an issue? I am interested in purchasing a 3ware RAID controller but I would like to know if it will be money well spent when used with Knoppix. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    -Harry

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.7 and Highpoint 1542 Raid Controller
    By Kowalsky in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 04:26 PM
  2. newbie and radeon 7000?????
    By sa in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 01:32 AM
  3. Need help with ny RAID controller
    By Roemer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 02:51 PM
  4. ATI Radeon 7000 (VE)
    By archtron in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2003, 05:39 AM
  5. IDE-RAID controller
    By Dohmann in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 03:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Toshiba 1TB 2.5

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive

$53.99



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



6TB Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD v4 ST6000NM0024 picture

6TB Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD v4 ST6000NM0024

$70.00