-
3ware 7000 series ata raid controller
I can boot up using the knoppix cd, and access my hard drive, but when i install using either the installer programs, (knx-hdinstall or knoppix-installer) it wont boot correctly.. telling me i have a bad root= statement. I look at it and it says root=/dev/sda3 so it looks good, just doesnt boot! I was told 3ware supported linux? should i try new firmware for my controller?
-
Junior Member
registered user
serial ata device
you are installing it on 3rd partition? Double check to see if you also have onboard SATA controllers - if it is, your 3Ware controller may not be the first "sdxx" device.
Also make sure you install the MBR. Assuming Knoppix is the only OS in your system.
-
sda or hda?
hmmm I checked and the 3ware is THE ONLY scsi or raid device I have. I was thinking though. Windows seems to recognize it as an ordinary hard drive doesnt it? Once the firmware on the 3ware controller builds the raid array, it is looked at as a normal HD? eH? I could be wrong. But when booting up with knoppix, it labels the hds as Sda.
-
Sounds like you've got a problem similar to mine.
The drivers for your RAID controller are already built into the KNOPPIX kernel. Unfortunately, the initial RAM disk (initrd) doesn't have those same drivers to help the boot loader find the kernel. In other words, the boot loader doesn't have the drivers it needs to find the kernel. In your case, it doesn't matter that the kernel itself has the drivers built-in because we can even find the kernel!
Did you happen to make a boot floppy during the hdinstall? Does that work? (If you did, I'm not too confident that it would work anyway).
I've asked FabianX (via e-mail) to shed some light. Once I get a clue, I'll pass on the needed information.
For more on my situation, ...
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5853
-SUO
-
Is there a solution?
Is this topic still an issue? I am interested in purchasing a 3ware RAID controller but I would like to know if it will be money well spent when used with Knoppix. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
-Harry
Similar Threads
-
By Kowalsky in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-27-2005, 04:26 PM
-
By sa in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 10-18-2003, 01:32 AM
-
By Roemer in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-28-2003, 02:51 PM
-
By archtron in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-13-2003, 05:39 AM
-
By Dohmann in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 82% Health
$185.00

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$56.99

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps
$37.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD (MZ7LN250HMJP) dell Lenovo hp
$32.99

KIOXIA KBG6AZNV512G 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD — TESTED & READY TO USE
$58.99