--Don't worry about it, anything with a 0x in front of it is Hexadecimal notation. I suck at math; but if my experiment with ' bc ' is correct, 0x100 == 256 Decimal.
--I wouldn't touch that line IIWY.
Originally Posted by tealeaf
While trying to speed up booting time, I came to these lines in linuxrc:
# Change root device from /dev/fd0 to /dev/ram0
echo "0x100" > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
--Don't worry about it, anything with a 0x in front of it is Hexadecimal notation. I suck at math; but if my experiment with ' bc ' is correct, 0x100 == 256 Decimal.
--I wouldn't touch that line IIWY.
Originally Posted by tealeaf
You are correct about your hexadecimal conversion.
To learn more look at: http://vwop.port5.com/beginner/bhextut.html
I think it does exactly what the comment says it does. It changes the root-device from /dev/fd0 (which is the first floppy drive, booting from cdrom also emulates a floppy) to /dev/ram0.Originally Posted by tealeaf
normally this is done with pivot_root (see "man pivot_root") but I guess they didn't have space to include that on the floppy image.
That guys above was right when he said you should leave this line alone![]()

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$155.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$298.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance
$20.25
Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99
Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99