--Don't worry about it, anything with a 0x in front of it is Hexadecimal notation. I suck at math; but if my experiment with ' bc ' is correct, 0x100 == 256 Decimal.
--I wouldn't touch that line IIWY.
Originally Posted by tealeaf
While trying to speed up booting time, I came to these lines in linuxrc:
# Change root device from /dev/fd0 to /dev/ram0
echo "0x100" > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
--Don't worry about it, anything with a 0x in front of it is Hexadecimal notation. I suck at math; but if my experiment with ' bc ' is correct, 0x100 == 256 Decimal.
--I wouldn't touch that line IIWY.
Originally Posted by tealeaf
You are correct about your hexadecimal conversion.
To learn more look at: http://vwop.port5.com/beginner/bhextut.html
I think it does exactly what the comment says it does. It changes the root-device from /dev/fd0 (which is the first floppy drive, booting from cdrom also emulates a floppy) to /dev/ram0.Originally Posted by tealeaf
normally this is done with pivot_root (see "man pivot_root") but I guess they didn't have space to include that on the floppy image.
That guys above was right when he said you should leave this line alone![]()

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Dell - LSI 9440-8i MegaRAID 8 Port 12GB/s HBA High Profile RAID Card W/Cables
$20.00
Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43
Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99
Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00