--Don't worry about it, anything with a 0x in front of it is Hexadecimal notation. I suck at math; but if my experiment with ' bc ' is correct, 0x100 == 256 Decimal.
--I wouldn't touch that line IIWY.
Originally Posted by tealeaf
While trying to speed up booting time, I came to these lines in linuxrc:
# Change root device from /dev/fd0 to /dev/ram0
echo "0x100" > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
--Don't worry about it, anything with a 0x in front of it is Hexadecimal notation. I suck at math; but if my experiment with ' bc ' is correct, 0x100 == 256 Decimal.
--I wouldn't touch that line IIWY.
Originally Posted by tealeaf
You are correct about your hexadecimal conversion.
To learn more look at: http://vwop.port5.com/beginner/bhextut.html
I think it does exactly what the comment says it does. It changes the root-device from /dev/fd0 (which is the first floppy drive, booting from cdrom also emulates a floppy) to /dev/ram0.Originally Posted by tealeaf
normally this is done with pivot_root (see "man pivot_root") but I guess they didn't have space to include that on the floppy image.
That guys above was right when he said you should leave this line alone![]()

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++
$169.00
Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00
Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00
Vintage Apple Comp Rainbow Black Canvas Leather Laptop Briefcase Messenger Bag
$49.00
Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X
$180.00
Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00
Vintage Apple Pro Mouse M5769 Wired Optical USB White/Clear
$24.99
Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99
3 Boxes-Vintage Apple Claris Macwrite MacPaint MacDraw - Sealed - NOS Rare 1988
$74.99