-
Knoppix & ACPI
Hey,
I have an HP PAvilion ze5385us Laptop. I run Knoppix v 3.3 (Nov-03-03 edition) from my laptop, and various other computers. I love it, especially if I need to let someone use my laptop, and I don't want them muckng up my preferences. Plus, I use knoppix as an emergency backup OS. (I'm always updating, and I use the laptop inclass constantly.) What I'm wondering is how do I enable ACPI on the cd? I know that ACPI works great under mandrake 9.1; 9.2, and I've gotten it to work under several other Linux Distro's. Does Knoppix even have acpi? If not, is there a chance that we would get a boot option for an ACPI enabled kernel? Just curious... as It would be great if I knew what percent my battery was at (no APM on laptop)....Thanks!
edit: Stupid Speilling errors... would you belive english is my first language? :P
-
In order to have ACP available, you will have to recompile kernel, and apply a patch. HD Installation is required.
You can find the patch here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=36832
detailed instructions about applying a patch and recompliling at:
http://freax.be/wiki/index.php/Insta...x9010%20laptop
Be careful chosing the correct patch, it should be 'acpi-20030916-2.4.22.diff' for knoppix 3.3 (kernel 2.4.22)
Good luck, and tell us whether it worked
-
Well, the whole point is to be able to run the distro off the CD. If I did do a HD install, change it, would I be able to turn it back into an iso so I can burn it?
-
Just remaster Knoppix. When you do , you must recompile the kernel and enable ACPI. It is actually very simple:
Download the kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs_10.00.Custom_all.deb from http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/sources/
All you need to do is change the .config file by enabling ACPI.
Do this by doing a "make menuconfig" enable ACPI under General Setup.
Save your configuration and exit.
Do a make dep; make bzImage.
Copy your bzImage file to the /boot directory as well as into the miniroot.gz file.
Make your appropriate links to the new kernel.
**If you made ACPI as modules you will have to make those and install them as well.
I have done this for my own version which also has firewire/usb support for booting from exteranl firewire/usb cdroms. So I can now boot from my Sony R505 which uses a firewire DVD/CDRW. Of course this requires a few more steps like modifiying the linuxrc file in the miniroot.gz file, etc.
-
sony r505?
hello r00ster, I too have a sony r505 and have jumped through all the firewire cd-rom hoops. I've got gentoo running pretty well on it right now, though I'm getting kinda tired of spending days compiling things and have been itching to try something new... would it be possible for you to send me an image of the custom knoppix CD you made? or at least give me some hints about how to make my own... I'm not at all familiar with knoppix. any help would be very much appreciated! thanks
-
if anyone know where i could download knoppix image iso that boot from firewire cdrom,thanks ain advance.
-
What is the difference between ACPI and APM?
Does only ACPI wok with Knoppix?
I've got APM going in my kernel, but really doesn't seem to make a difference.
Also, how can I get output to a doc app to show what the battery life is or temp of cpu or just monitor heat issues with laptop?
thanks
Similar Threads
-
By OP4Latino in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-27-2005, 06:27 AM
-
By Longfield in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-12-2005, 11:54 AM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-24-2004, 07:27 PM
-
By windos_no_thanks in forum Laptops
Replies: 14
Last Post: 05-02-2004, 08:30 PM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-14-2003, 07:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends
$149.00

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$699.99

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981
$199.99

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit
$44.99

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold
$749.99

Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe
$449.99

IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D
$219.99

VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE
$299.99