-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix & VIA EPIA 5000- no display after splash screen?
Hi everyone-
I've run Knoppix on other PC's just fine- including my Dell laptop w/o issue.
Just got this EPIA itx board from Newegg & wanted to test it out w/Knoppix vs. the whole HD install deal. Just want to see everything works (memory, vid., snd, etc...).
I have a CD-ROM attached & it gets to the Knoppix splash screen (I'm using 3.1) then immediately I lose the display (black). The CD-ROM is chugging right along, probably going through the rest of the routine- but I cannot see it?
Side questions related to this: this is the first mobo I've had w/onboard video. What should be set as "init first"? If it says "PCI slot" but I have no PCI video card, does it then move on to find the onboard AGP?
If I see the splash screen, does that mean my mobo's video is probably OK? Or is the splash screen not being shown via the onboard video at all?
Please help asap? I may need to RMA quickly if there turns out to be a problem with this board. Email as well as post & I'll be sure to get it.
Thanks all!
Mom
-
Junior Member
registered user
I had the same on a VIA EPIA M where the text screen res wasn't supported by my monitor. It was OK once X11 started. After a hard disk install I changed the video mode line in /etc/lilo.conf. I don't know a way round on a CDROM boot unless you play with the cheat codes -- if that's your problem.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Here I am-
Back to solve (sort of) my own problem. I hauled all of the hardware upstairs to plug into my 19" monitor- & Knoppix booted up fine.
So, it isn't recognizing my little 9" monitor. It's actually one of the "point-of-sale" monitors used at cash registers- though it's color & quite nice. The funny thing is that I've used Knoppix on these in the past & they worked fine.
Any idea what "cheat" code might encourage Knoppix to "see" the little monitor? I'm in the process of creating a case mod that will include the display as part of the unit. This is why I want to use something smallish.
Thanks!
Mom
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
adkmom
Any idea what "cheat" code might encourage Knoppix to "see" the little monitor?
Since I'm not prepared to reboot ATM to check, I'd say "something with 640x480 in it" :-)
-
Junior Member
registered user
I'll do the usual later on & let you know. I'm just relieved as hell that the video works- yay!
Getting no display meant I couldn't shut Knoppix down properly & right now I'm running the board, out of & sitting on it's box (no case as yet). I have two jumpers (on the power pins) connected to two pieces of bell wire & a momentary switch to power up so it's not an easy task to "simply" restart or shut down. I have to kill power at the surge strip as my Foxconn 200wt. PS has no power switch.
It's all fun, though. I must be demented, eh? Lol.
Mom
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
adkmom
Here I am-
Back to solve (sort of) my own problem. I hauled all of the hardware upstairs to plug into my 19" monitor- & Knoppix booted up fine.
So, it isn't recognizing my little 9" monitor. It's actually one of the "point-of-sale" monitors used at cash registers- though it's color & quite nice. The funny thing is that I've used Knoppix on these in the past & they worked fine.
Any idea what "cheat" code might encourage Knoppix to "see" the little monitor? I'm in the process of creating a case mod that will include the display as part of the unit. This is why I want to use something smallish.
Thanks!
Mom
You could try knoppix noddc vga=normal screen=640x480.
-
Junior Member
registered user
"You could try knoppix noddc vga=normal screen=640x480"
I get the rest of it, but what does the "noddc" abbreviation refer to?
Mom
Similar Threads
-
By Nikolay in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-24-2005, 05:22 PM
-
By spiff1281 in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-11-2004, 10:33 AM
-
By impresario in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-25-2003, 07:58 PM
-
By dave52355 in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-31-2003, 02:59 AM
-
By johncarlson21 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 07-16-2003, 06:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99