Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix & VIA EPIA 5000- no display after splash screen?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sitting at my PC
    Posts
    10

    Knoppix & VIA EPIA 5000- no display after splash screen?

    Hi everyone-

    I've run Knoppix on other PC's just fine- including my Dell laptop w/o issue.

    Just got this EPIA itx board from Newegg & wanted to test it out w/Knoppix vs. the whole HD install deal. Just want to see everything works (memory, vid., snd, etc...).

    I have a CD-ROM attached & it gets to the Knoppix splash screen (I'm using 3.1) then immediately I lose the display (black). The CD-ROM is chugging right along, probably going through the rest of the routine- but I cannot see it?

    Side questions related to this: this is the first mobo I've had w/onboard video. What should be set as "init first"? If it says "PCI slot" but I have no PCI video card, does it then move on to find the onboard AGP?

    If I see the splash screen, does that mean my mobo's video is probably OK? Or is the splash screen not being shown via the onboard video at all?

    Please help asap? I may need to RMA quickly if there turns out to be a problem with this board. Email as well as post & I'll be sure to get it.

    Thanks all!

    Mom

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    18
    I had the same on a VIA EPIA M where the text screen res wasn't supported by my monitor. It was OK once X11 started. After a hard disk install I changed the video mode line in /etc/lilo.conf. I don't know a way round on a CDROM boot unless you play with the cheat codes -- if that's your problem.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sitting at my PC
    Posts
    10
    Here I am-

    Back to solve (sort of) my own problem. I hauled all of the hardware upstairs to plug into my 19" monitor- & Knoppix booted up fine.

    So, it isn't recognizing my little 9" monitor. It's actually one of the "point-of-sale" monitors used at cash registers- though it's color & quite nice. The funny thing is that I've used Knoppix on these in the past & they worked fine.

    Any idea what "cheat" code might encourage Knoppix to "see" the little monitor? I'm in the process of creating a case mod that will include the display as part of the unit. This is why I want to use something smallish.

    Thanks!

    Mom

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by adkmom
    Any idea what "cheat" code might encourage Knoppix to "see" the little monitor?
    Since I'm not prepared to reboot ATM to check, I'd say "something with 640x480 in it" :-)

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sitting at my PC
    Posts
    10
    I'll do the usual later on & let you know. I'm just relieved as hell that the video works- yay!

    Getting no display meant I couldn't shut Knoppix down properly & right now I'm running the board, out of & sitting on it's box (no case as yet). I have two jumpers (on the power pins) connected to two pieces of bell wire & a momentary switch to power up so it's not an easy task to "simply" restart or shut down. I have to kill power at the surge strip as my Foxconn 200wt. PS has no power switch.

    It's all fun, though. I must be demented, eh? Lol.

    Mom

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by adkmom
    Here I am-

    Back to solve (sort of) my own problem. I hauled all of the hardware upstairs to plug into my 19" monitor- & Knoppix booted up fine.

    So, it isn't recognizing my little 9" monitor. It's actually one of the "point-of-sale" monitors used at cash registers- though it's color & quite nice. The funny thing is that I've used Knoppix on these in the past & they worked fine.

    Any idea what "cheat" code might encourage Knoppix to "see" the little monitor? I'm in the process of creating a case mod that will include the display as part of the unit. This is why I want to use something smallish.

    Thanks!

    Mom
    You could try knoppix noddc vga=normal screen=640x480.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sitting at my PC
    Posts
    10
    "You could try knoppix noddc vga=normal screen=640x480"



    I get the rest of it, but what does the "noddc" abbreviation refer to?

    Mom

Similar Threads

  1. KDE Loading Splash screen
    By Nikolay in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 05:22 PM
  2. lilo splash screen
    By spiff1281 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 10:33 AM
  3. Display Problem with Via EPIA Mini-Itx 800
    By impresario in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 07:58 PM
  4. Nvidia splash screen, now what?
    By dave52355 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 02:59 AM
  5. LILO Splash screen?????
    By johncarlson21 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 06:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30* picture

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*

$785.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00