Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Problem Unique to Knoppix Later Versions!(SIS problem!)

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262

    Problem Unique to Knoppix Later Versions!(SIS problem!)

    The last version of knoppix I was able to use was 06062003. After that all the later versions was not able to detect my hard drive partitions.I was able to 'catch' the text that comes at boot time and it states:

    "hda hda1 hda2"
    "ide:late registration of driver"


    All other distros I have tried and I am using works ok(vector,slack9,peanut,mandrake). Sopposed to be the boot text should be:

    "hda hda1 hda2 <hda1 hda2 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 hda12>"

    which shows all my partitions.

    KNoppix boots and starts but I am unable to access my hard disk.A message states "unable to read partition table"
    I thought it is a kernel problem but all the distros I have stated above runs on 2.4.22 kernel -same as the latest knoppix.

    Please help.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    20
    I have EXACTLY the same problem with Knoppix 2003-9/22. It autodetects that I have four partitions, but can not mount them via command line or GUI with any combo of mount --parameters. When I run fdisk from inside Knoppix, it says I have no partition table. I have a SiS 5513 Dual IDE controller, old Western Digital HD. Works fine with RH9, MDK9.0, SuSE 6.2, SuSE 8.0, VectorLinux, etc. If anyone can help that would be great!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    Installed a new AMD 2400 athlon mobo this weekend and knoppix 3.3(the latest works.
    Conclusion: If you want to use knoppix avoid systems which are SIS based. Also PCchips based systems. If you have a very very good PC hardware knowhow (and likewise linux) you might be able to tweak the SIS/PCchips system to work with knoppix but judging from the response to this thread, very few people use it for linux.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    K3.2 works well on ECS (PCChips) K7S5A boards with the 735 chipset and a five-partition h/d.
    OG.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer
    K3.2 works well on ECS (PCChips) K7S5A boards with the 735 chipset and a five-partition h/d.
    OG.
    As I have stated above, I don't have this particular problem up until 06062003 knoppix-I think this was the last version of K3.2 using 2.4.20-xfs kernel. When the kernel was changed that was the time this partition problem came out for me anyway.
    I think it is the same problem with some Toshiba laptops.
    Anyway,this is not much if the problem if you install k3.2 to the hd disk as you can do an upgrade to the latest debian version.
    This is an issue for using the live cd as a rescue disk for the hard disk. How can you rescue if your hd partitons is not recognized?

    I am sorry to say that this and other hardware issues are also true for ALL linux distro. A prospective linux user has no assurance that it will work on his pc! And if it does not work and he goes to forums(not knoppix forum) he gets a typical answer that he should ask the manufacturer of his pc for help!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 04:05 PM
  2. Old versions of Knoppix?
    By hrymur in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 05:02 AM
  3. Different Versions of Knoppix
    By hhlee in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2004, 07:33 AM
  4. Old knoppix versions
    By coindood in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 01:20 AM
  5. Wierd Problem With USB Keyboard, Maybe Motherboard Problem
    By Triple Six in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 04:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital WD 3.5

Western Digital WD 3.5" Western Digital Red 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD - Works great

$79.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Toshiba 1TB 2.5

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive

$53.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99