-
Senior Member
registered user
Problem Unique to Knoppix Later Versions!(SIS problem!)
The last version of knoppix I was able to use was 06062003. After that all the later versions was not able to detect my hard drive partitions.I was able to 'catch' the text that comes at boot time and it states:
"hda hda1 hda2"
"ide:late registration of driver"
All other distros I have tried and I am using works ok(vector,slack9,peanut,mandrake). Sopposed to be the boot text should be:
"hda hda1 hda2 <hda1 hda2 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 hda12>"
which shows all my partitions.
KNoppix boots and starts but I am unable to access my hard disk.A message states "unable to read partition table"
I thought it is a kernel problem but all the distros I have stated above runs on 2.4.22 kernel -same as the latest knoppix.
Please help.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I have EXACTLY the same problem with Knoppix 2003-9/22. It autodetects that I have four partitions, but can not mount them via command line or GUI with any combo of mount --parameters. When I run fdisk from inside Knoppix, it says I have no partition table. I have a SiS 5513 Dual IDE controller, old Western Digital HD. Works fine with RH9, MDK9.0, SuSE 6.2, SuSE 8.0, VectorLinux, etc. If anyone can help that would be great!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Installed a new AMD 2400 athlon mobo this weekend and knoppix 3.3(the latest works.
Conclusion: If you want to use knoppix avoid systems which are SIS based. Also PCchips based systems. If you have a very very good PC hardware knowhow (and likewise linux) you might be able to tweak the SIS/PCchips system to work with knoppix but judging from the response to this thread, very few people use it for linux.
-
Senior Member
registered user
K3.2 works well on ECS (PCChips) K7S5A boards with the 735 chipset and a five-partition h/d.
OG.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
oldgeezer
K3.2 works well on ECS (PCChips) K7S5A boards with the 735 chipset and a five-partition h/d.
OG.
As I have stated above, I don't have this particular problem up until 06062003 knoppix-I think this was the last version of K3.2 using 2.4.20-xfs kernel. When the kernel was changed that was the time this partition problem came out for me anyway.
I think it is the same problem with some Toshiba laptops.
Anyway,this is not much if the problem if you install k3.2 to the hd disk as you can do an upgrade to the latest debian version.
This is an issue for using the live cd as a rescue disk for the hard disk. How can you rescue if your hd partitons is not recognized?
I am sorry to say that this and other hardware issues are also true for ALL linux distro. A prospective linux user has no assurance that it will work on his pc! And if it does not work and he goes to forums(not knoppix forum) he gets a typical answer that he should ask the manufacturer of his pc for help!
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 18
Last Post: 01-09-2005, 04:05 PM
-
By hrymur in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-12-2004, 05:02 AM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-28-2004, 07:33 AM
-
By coindood in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-19-2004, 01:20 AM
-
By Triple Six in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-15-2003, 04:23 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Samsung 16GB (2x8GB) DDR5 UDIMM PC5-4800B 288-Pin RAM M323R1GB4BB0
$345.00

SAMSUNG M393A4K40CB2-CVF 32GB PC4-23400 2933 RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY 32GB 2933MHZ
$239.99

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

LOT OF 15 MIXED BRAND 32GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA RAM Memory Laptop DDR4
$2325.00

Lot of 12 SK Hynix 64GB PC4-2666V LRDIMM Server Memory RAM HMAA8GL7CPR4N -Tested
$4200.00

Lot Of 50 4GB PC4 2133P 2400T 2666V 3200AA RAM DIMM Desktop Memory *From Scrap*
$599.99

SK Hynix 32GB DDR4 HMA84GR7CJR4N-XN 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA ECC Server RAM RDIMM, TESTED
$289.95

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98