hokay, so I'm doing ok with this knoppix stuff, and I've just had to knx-hdinstall some p1 166 machines with 64 M ram (tip: boot into run level 2 with 'knoppix 2' at initial boot prompt, then do the hdinstall).
The reason for all of this is that my work needed to get some computers happening in russian (cyrillic) for a coupla russian pensioners over here in oz, and the locale set when you login each user for the first time was a godsend - two users, one english, one russian, with english in root.
Then, they wanted printing. That's been a pain in the arse - all the documentation is outta date, or in russian, or both.
Eventually I got a response from a dude (d.coffin@cybercom) that did some work a few years ago:
So I thought I had solved all my problems. But no, we are not happy - while almost everything on the desktop is in russian, and large parts of kde menus and the control centre are in russian, I cannot for the life of me get russian chacters in OO/abi or the recommended kword.Anyway, times have changed. Stay away from KOI-8,
CP-1251, and other 8-bit encodings. Unicode, and more
specifically UTF-8, is the way of the future.
If your secondhand computers are fast enough to run
KDE and KOffice, your problem is solved. The other day
I needed to print some Russian text, and did so with no
more difficulty than a Windows user would face.
Run KDE. Switch the keyboard map to Russian. You
can choose a couple of layouts -- ITsUKEN is the standard
in Russia, while YaVERTY maps Russian letters to their
phonetic equivalents. A Russian flag in the lower right
corner indicates which keymap is active. You can click
it with the mouse to switch back to English.
does anyone have any ideas? Is it because the knoppix I used (3.2, circa may 03, I think), while locales are very well organised (I can get the russian flag that I was informed about, and I can use KOI-8/UTF etc), does not actually come with russian (cyrillic) fonts?...I mean, the control centre offers a lot, but it bloody will not come out, on screen, in russian...
btw, knoppix.ru looks cool, but once again, wrong language, and these ppl we give computers to are not brain surgeons, ya know...

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive
$53.99
HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00
Western Digital WD2003FYYS-05T9B0 2TB 7.2K SATA 3.5'' Enterprise Hard Drive
$30.76
HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00
HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00
Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99
HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99